1 - 4 of 4 Posts
I have a good twenty pounds to lose. I went to Greece recently for about two weeks and lost five pounds when I was there. I walked a lot, but also felt like I ate more than normal.

Now I am back form my trip and I have gained it all back.

The key to my losing weight is in those Greece trips. I don't feel like much is different when I am home, other than maybe the food supply? I am just not sure how to live at home like I do in Greece.

Has anyone else noticed this weight loss while in Greece phenomenon, and have you figured out how to continue the momentum when you get back from a trip?

You probably did more walking than you do at home . Most foods in Greece are organically grown thus more delicious and more satisfying
Try a Mediterranean diet
One book I use is :
Mediterranean Diet Weight Loss Solution
Written by Julene Stassou MSRD
It’s excellent

You probably did more walking than you do at home . Most foods in Greece are organically grown thus more delicious and more satisfying
Try a Mediterranean diet
One book I use is :
Mediterranean Diet Weight Loss Solution
Written by Julene Stassou MSRD
It’s excellent
Thanks for the advice! You are right about the walking - I checked my Fitbit and I got a good 5000-6000 steps more in Greece per day than I did at home. Hmmm- that might be a good place to start - build the habit of more walking, work on using cleaner ingredients, and start cooking more mediterranean/Greek foods at home.

I agree about the walking but I also feel that the food is cleaner. I would look for cleaner foods and gravitate towards that kind of lifestyle - clean eating, Mediterranean ingredients, etc.

Good Greek Dips and Spreads for Entertaining

I like to entertain and I like to have some good recipes on hand to throw together at the last minute. Did I miss anything? Here's what I have:
  • Tzatziki
  • Hummus
  • Melitzanosalata
  • Taramosalata
  • Fava
I eat tapenade (olive spread) a lot in Greece, but I don't have a good recipe...

Tips for Baking Greek Bread?

Does anyone have any tips or secrets for baking Greek bread at home? Here are a few specific areas where I could use some advice - I am new to baking bread, and most Greek breads I have had taste different than other breads I've had - so I am guessing there are nuances I need to learn.
  1. Are there specific types of flour or yeast that are essential for authentic Greek bread?
  2. Any particular methods that work best for achieving the right dough consistency?
  3. How long should the dough be left to rise, and are there any tricks to getting the perfect rise?
  4. Ideal oven temperature and baking times?
  5. Any traditional additives or spices that can elevate the bread?
I appreciate any insights or experiences you all could share!

Menu - Advice on What to Serve at a Greek Dinner Party

I'm planning to host a Greek-themed dinner party and could use some advice on what dishes to serve. I want to create an authentic experience for my guests and ensure they get a true taste of Greek cuisine.

Here are a few ideas I have in mind:
  • Tzatziki
  • Dolmades
  • Spanakopita
  • Souvlaki
  • Greek Salad
  • Lemon Potatoes
Should I add or subtract anything?

List of Famous Greek Chefs?

I'm looking to explore the world of Greek cuisine and would love to get a list of famous Greek chefs. Who are the top chefs in Greece known for their exceptional culinary skills and contributions to Greek gastronomy?

I'd appreciate any recommendations, whether they are well-known for traditional dishes or modern takes on Greek food.

Thanks in advance! Content can be in Greek or English too.

Chocolate Koulourakia Recipe

I had Chocolate Koulourakia when in Greece and I recently found and tried the recipe. It was good! Thought I'd share:

Ingredients:​

• 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
  • 1 cup granulated sugar
  • 2 large eggs, room temperature
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
  • 3 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1 tablespoon milk (if needed)
  • 1 egg yolk + 1 tablespoon water (for egg wash)
  • Sesame seeds (optional)

Instructions:​

1. Preheat Oven: Preheat your oven to 350°F (175°C). Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
  2. Cream Butter and Sugar: In a large bowl, beat the softened butter and granulated sugar together until light and fluffy, about 3-4 minutes.
  3. Add Eggs and Vanilla: Add the eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition. Mix in the vanilla extract.
  4. Combine Dry Ingredients: In a separate bowl, sift together the cocoa powder, baking powder, flour, and salt.
  5. Mix Dry and Wet Ingredients: Gradually add the dry ingredients to the butter mixture, mixing until a dough forms. If the dough is too dry, add a tablespoon of milk to help bring it together.
  6. Shape the Cookies: Take small pieces of dough and roll them into ropes about 4-5 inches long. Fold each rope in half and twist the ends together to form a twist shape, or shape them into rings if you prefer.
  7. Egg Wash: In a small bowl, beat the egg yolk with 1 tablespoon of water. Brush the tops of the cookies with the egg wash. Sprinkle with sesame seeds if desired.
  8. Bake: Place the cookies on the prepared baking sheets. Bake in the preheated oven for 15-18 minutes, or until the cookies are firm and slightly golden around the edges.
  9. Cool and Serve: Allow the cookies to cool on the baking sheets for a few minutes before transferring them to a wire rack to cool completely.
Sign up for a free account and share your thoughts, photos, questions about Greek food, travel and culture!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology.
Join Worldwide Greeks here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Back