1 - 4 of 4 Posts
I just wanted to share with everyone that I recently made my first ever vasilopita and it was a big success! Here's a list of ingredients from my recipe:

3/4 cup unsalted butter, softened to room temperature
3 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 cups sugar
3 eggs
3 tablespoons cognac
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 tablespoon lemon zest
3 teaspoons baking powder
1 cup orange juice (I used freshly squeezed)

I made an orange glaze for the top using confectioners' sugar and more orange juice.

And of course, I hid a coin!

PemiKanavos

Administrator
Staff member
Sounds Delish. Bravo!

Reactions: GreekGirlCooks

k_tsoukalas

This looks like a great recipe, thank you for sharing! I love the addition oof orange juice. I might end up using orange peel instead of lemon peel.

Favorite Vegan Greek Foods for Lent?

Lent is around the corner and this year, I thought I would go all in and stick with Vegan foods during lent. I thought I would gather ideas from you guys, and I will share a few of my own.

- My family used to make a yellow split pea soup that was very simple. I will track down how to make it and get the recipe from someone.
- Foods like lentils, hummus, fava beans are great - any recommendations? I could always make lentil soup, beans in tomato sauce...
- Vegetables in tomato sauce - have seen lent versions with no oil, potatoes, legumes, veggies... any ideas? Looks like I can use nearly anything.

Thanks for chiming in!

Simple Greek Desserts to Try?

I am not a baker really but I love eating sweets, in small amounts, after dinner.

I am trying to find some recipes! Does anyone have a good recipe for that chocolate cracker log thing? I have heard it called "Salami" and also "mosaiko". It has crackers (or biscuit cookies really), cocoa powder, there ingredients I forget. I watched someone make it once...

Also, I do eat fruit, dried fruit, Greek yogurt with honey, etc for dessert sometimes. Any other ideas?

Greek-Style Fish "Dressing"

I don't know what else to call this ... I bumped into a recipe for ladolemono that had olive oil, lemon, oregano, garlic, and some onion. I decided to make a ladolemono similar to this, but adjust the seasonings for fish.

I plan to make salmon this week! So instead of oregano I will be using freshly chopped dill, and I think garlic would be too strong from salmon so am going to use a small shallow and no onion either. What do you guys think? I think it sounds like it will be delicious, and I can maybe even use this for other seafood if it goes well.

How to Use Spoon Sweets?

I am about to make my first ever spoon sweet. Someone told me that there was a it of a ritual associated with it?

I went over someone's house once and they gave me some spoon sweets with some Greek coffee and water. I am kind of getting the feeling that this is a pretty typical experience?

Besides the ritual, how else are spoon sweets used? Can I eat them like jam?

Quick Greek Dinner Ideas

Many of the Greek dishes I know how to cook are very time consuming for me to put together, like stuffed grape leaves and spanakopita.

Sometimes, I want to eat Greek food, but I don't want to spend a lot of time in the kitchen. Can you think of some easy Greek suppers besides salads to eat? I cook village salad and cabbage salad, but am also open for suggestions for different salads. I know I could always serve souvlaki with them. I know that is fairly quick, aside from the marinating.
Sign up for a free account and share your thoughts, photos, questions about Greek food, travel and culture!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology. Join Worldwide Greeks here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Follow Worldwide Greeks:
Facebook Twitter Instagram
TikTok Pinterest YouTube