1 - 3 of 3 Posts

nadellii

If you’re interested in going to museums this summer when you’re visiting Athens, I highly recommend that you bring your student ID if you’re from Europe. All of the museums in Athens provide a lower fee for students and university.

Reactions: Hash

Hash

If you’re interested in going to museums this summer when you’re visiting Athens, I highly recommend that you bring your student ID if you’re from Europe. All of the museums in Athens provide a lower fee for students and university.
Good advice! Kalley Mera from Thailand and Monsoons beginning!

Reactions: kosta_karapinotis

k_tsoukalas

This is excellent advice! There could be some opportunities for discounts here.

View of the Acropolis from Thisseio

Thisseio is a great place for cafes and rooftop bars and restaraunts that have stunning views of the acropolis both during the day and at night. This picture was taken from Thisseio View, a cafe named perfectly for one of the best views in the city. The food is pretty good, nothing amazing but definitely worth going for a drink and a snack.
0B79373D-6706-4436-90F9-5EDB46B3B37E.jpeg

Check out Vouliagmeni for classy beachside restaurants

Vouliagmeni is about half an hour from Athens by car and is a great place for beachside dining. I find that this area has amazing views and is much less crowded than Athens. I haven't been to any beaches there, so please let me know if there are good spots to swim nearby. I usually go for dinner if im staying in Athens and then take a taxi back. My favorite spots are Ithaki and Lavros. :) Check them out!

Make sure to bring your water bottles and sunscreen to Athens! Its heating up

Year after year, Athens is hitting record highs for temperature. This year, it's getting so hot that we're seeing wildfires again. I highly recommend that if you're visiting the city, that you wear a lot of sunscreen and stay very hydrated. Heatstroke and sun disease are actually very common in Greece, and can be very dangerous. Make sure that you're in the shade, and stopping in restaurants and shops that have air conditioning.

Where to go in Athens for some of the best nightlife!

Athens has some great nightlife!! There are so many options to choose from, and it really depends on what you're looking for. My personal favourites are rooftop bars that overlook the Parthenon, you can find most of these in Thissio. But many local Athenians would say that these spots are very touristy and not as fun Exarchia and Gazi for example. If you're interested in going to bars that are by the beach, but still pretty close to the city I recommend Gylfada. Psiri it's also a very trendy neighbourhood that is popular amongst the locals! Try them out and let me know what you think!

Take a boat instead of driving to Porto Cheli!

I've seen so many people rent cars and drive all the way down to Porto Cheli from the Athens airport. While this is a great option if you prefer to drive, many people overlook taking a boat because it takes just a little bit longer. The reality is that taking a boat is much cheaper, and you also can be a lot more comfortable since you're able to walk around the deck, get snacks and coffee, and use the bathroom. Personally, I love taking the boat, because I also like to visit Hydra and Spetses when I am there and it's much easier to take boats to both of those islands as well.
Share and discuss your Athens photos, questions and experiences!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology. Join WorldwideGreeks.com here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Follow WorldwideGreeks.com:
Facebook Instagram Twitter