1 - 5 of 5 Posts

dubai_suzie

This is a very popular custom in Greece and you might come off as strange if you don't parcticiate. If you're invited to someones house, it is customary to bring dessert or a small gift to show your toes of appreciation for the fact that they're hosting you. It is likely that they will also offer you food, dessert or coffee as well. So don't be surprised if they do!

ellinasgolfer0320

100%. This is common courtesy in Greece. I always take a cake or some little ice creams when I go to someone's house.

Last edited:

Hash

This is a very popular custom in Greece and you might come off as strange if you don't parcticiate. If you're invited to someones house, it is customary to bring dessert or a small gift to show your toes of appreciation for the fact that they're hosting you. It is likely that they will also offer you food, dessert or coffee as well. So don't be surprised if they do!
Nice.... always did this for all friends in Mykonos... cookies, cakes, used to take my cooking as I make mean Macaronada and Tono salads!...I used to take small bottles of Greek liquors as well...Kalley Mera from Thailand and Monsoons..

Reactions: redsoxdw_

redsoxdw_

Nice.... always did this for all friends in Mykonos... cookies, cakes, used to take my cooking as I make mean Macaronada and Tono salads!...I used to take small bottles of Greek liquors as well...Kalley Mera from Thailand and Monsoons..
Amazing!! I try to be as generous as possible, there is nothing like the hospitality I have received in Greece...its astounding

k_tsoukalas

100%. This is common courtesy in Greece. I always take a cake or some little ice creams when I go to someone's house.
Is it mostly dessert that one gifts, or can you bring other things?

Greek-American Thanksgiving Traditions?

My husband's Greek-American family celebrates Thanksgiving even though a lot of them are from Greece. They have a traditional Turkey meal with mashed potatoes, gravy, roasted squash, etc. I did notice that they also can't help themselves and regularly serve Greek dishes on the table like pastitsio and spanakopita. They also make these ground beef, rice, and chestnut dish they call "Greek stuffing". I am curious - what do you guys all do for a Greek-American Thanksgiving?

Greek Wedding Traditions for Weddings in Greece?

I am in research mode. My wedding is next year and I feel like I am behind. I am not Greek or an Orthodox Christian, but I love Greece and the culture. Are there any traditions that it might be fun if I incorporate into the ceremony or the celebrations? I am not sure where to start!

Should I Bring Something to a Greek-Australian Dinner Party?

I am of Greek descent but I was born in Australia. Although my name sounds very Greek, I didn't actually grow up close to the culture. I am invited to a dinner party to a friend's house, and they have only just moved from Greece. Of course, I always went to dinner parties put on my family, but this is different. Usually my family would tell me what to bring and I don't have to think about gifts. What do you bring to a friend's house during a dinner party? Wine? Food?

Many Greeks are having their weddings and baptizing their children on the same day

This is becoming more and more popular as people are getting remarried or having children without being married. A few friends of mine have had their weddings and baptizes their children at the same time. It is a new tradition that is gaining popularity, although it is definitely not traditional and some Greek people may frown upon it. Personally, I see no problem in it and I love attending these ceremonies.

Things to Know When Visiting Greece?

I found this article very helpful... I am going soon and this isn't my first time, but I still fond this helpful:

Do you have anything to add t this list? #3 - find your latest alike - really caught my eye. I am a photographer so this is a work/play type of trip and I bet I can get some great slice of life shots there.
Share and discuss Greek traditions related to Greek weddings, christenings, dance & holidays!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology. Join WorldwideGreeks.com here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Follow WorldwideGreeks.com:
Facebook Instagram Twitter