1 - 3 of 3 Posts

nadellii

I like to make my own homemade fries but in order to do it the "Greek way" you really need to use olive oil!

Peel and slice the potatoes. Place the potatoes in water for a few minutes to remove some of the starch. Remove from the water and blot with paper towels.

Add about 1-inch of oil in a fry pan. Set the heat to medium and let the oil heat.

Place some of the potatoes in the oil in a single layer.

Cook them until golden brown on one side. Flip over using a fork or pair of kitchen tongs.

Each side will take 3-5 minutes to cook.

Remove from heat and place on clean paper towels. Sprinkle with Greek sea salt.

Repeat the process until you run out of potatoes.

After they blog I arrange them on a platter, sprinkle them with crumbled feta cheese and oregano, and serve. They go with just about everything or are great by themselves!

Reactions: Laura48
This is very close to how I make it! Sometimes, though, I cut the potatoes before I put in the water, and sometimes I don't. Always remember to blog the water, though, before putting the potatoes in the oil.

Reactions: nadellii
This is very close to how I make it! Sometimes, though, I cut the potatoes before I put in the water, and sometimes I don't. Always remember to blog the water, though, before putting the potatoes in the oil.
That's interesting about how you use the water trick. How long do you soak them typically?

How to learn about different regional cuisines in Greece?

I have learned so much about Greek cuisine by being on this forum! I know that there are standard recipes that everyone seems to cook.

For example, you can get souvlaki all over. Everyone seems to serve a village salad with slight variations. Most regions seem to make moussaka. There are tons of others.

I have also noticed that each region has their own specialties. How do you go about learning about them?

greek-salad.jpg

What are the most famous Greek cheeses?

I've recently embarked on a culinary quest to explore the rich and diverse world of Greek cheeses. From the tangy feta found in traditional Greek salads to the sizzling delights of halloumi, Greece's cheese culture seems incredibly vast and flavorful. 🇬🇷

I'm reaching out to this knowledgeable community to ask: What are the most famous Greek cheeses that you've tried or heard of?

Are there any particular varieties that are a must-try or any hidden gems that rarely escape the borders of Greece? And if you have any delicious recipes or pairings to share, I'd love to hear about those too!

Traditional Greek soups in Greece?

Most of the Greeks I know are from the United States - so it's been a few generations since a lot of them spent extended time in Greece.

From what I understand, Greek cuisine kind of changes. From what I can tell, in the United States, the most popular soup is Egg and Lemon soup (avgolemono) but in Greece, I don't see to as much or rather, hear of it as much.

What are the most popular soups in Greece?

Making traditional loukaniko question

I’m on a culinary quest to master the art of making Loukaniko, the traditional Greek sausage that tantalizes taste buds with its savory blend of spices and herbs. I understand that each region and even each family might have their own special recipe passed down through generations.

Which leads me to my ask - could anyone who’s familiar with Greek cuisine share insights about the most common seasonings used in Loukaniko? I'm especially interested in any mix of spices that gives it that characteristic flavor profile.

I’ve done some preliminary research, but I’m looking for that firsthand knowledge. What's the blend that makes your Loukaniko stand out? Are there any particular secrets to perfect the authentic taste?

Greek methods of food preservation?

I remember my family doing some things to preserve food as I was growing up but we got away from them. The thing is, some of the options were actually delicious! My yiayia made sun-dried tomatoes, spoon sweets, her own tomato paste, etc. It was one of the things that made her food delicious.

I am trying to figure out what she did! I am curious if anyone knows anything about the following:

- Traditional Techniques: I know the ancient Greeks did a lot of preserving and some of the methods translate to modern?
- Modern Adaptations to Old Techniques: Maybe to make the process easier?
- Local Variations: Are there different regional things?
Sign up for a free account and share your thoughts, photos, questions about Greek food, travel and culture!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology.
Join Worldwide Greeks here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Back