1 - 3 of 3 Posts

nadellii

I like to make my own homemade fries but in order to do it the "Greek way" you really need to use olive oil!

Peel and slice the potatoes. Place the potatoes in water for a few minutes to remove some of the starch. Remove from the water and blot with paper towels.

Add about 1-inch of oil in a fry pan. Set the heat to medium and let the oil heat.

Place some of the potatoes in the oil in a single layer.

Cook them until golden brown on one side. Flip over using a fork or pair of kitchen tongs.

Each side will take 3-5 minutes to cook.

Remove from heat and place on clean paper towels. Sprinkle with Greek sea salt.

Repeat the process until you run out of potatoes.

After they blog I arrange them on a platter, sprinkle them with crumbled feta cheese and oregano, and serve. They go with just about everything or are great by themselves!

Reactions: Laura48
This is very close to how I make it! Sometimes, though, I cut the potatoes before I put in the water, and sometimes I don't. Always remember to blog the water, though, before putting the potatoes in the oil.

Reactions: nadellii
This is very close to how I make it! Sometimes, though, I cut the potatoes before I put in the water, and sometimes I don't. Always remember to blog the water, though, before putting the potatoes in the oil.
That's interesting about how you use the water trick. How long do you soak them typically?

How to make Koulouri - sesame bread rings?

When I went to Greece, one of my favorite snacks were the koulouri - or sesame bread rings.

I'm on a quest to recreate the delectable Greek Koulouri at home – those delightful sesame-crusted bread rings that are a staple street food in Greece. They are perfect for breakfast or as a snack any time of day, and I absolutely love their chewy texture and the rich taste that comes from being encrusted with toasted sesame seeds.

Is it a simple matter of taking any bread recipe and forming it into rings, and then putting sesame seeds on the rings? Or is it a bit more to it than that?

Greek methods of food preservation?

I remember my family doing some things to preserve food as I was growing up but we got away from them. The thing is, some of the options were actually delicious! My yiayia made sun-dried tomatoes, spoon sweets, her own tomato paste, etc. It was one of the things that made her food delicious.

I am trying to figure out what she did! I am curious if anyone knows anything about the following:

- Traditional Techniques: I know the ancient Greeks did a lot of preserving and some of the methods translate to modern?
- Modern Adaptations to Old Techniques: Maybe to make the process easier?
- Local Variations: Are there different regional things?

Stuffed grape leaves - how much filling?

I haven't made stuffed grape leaves in a while and I have some questions.

First of all, I am having a hard time judging how much filling to put in each leaf? I have a friend who helped me and tried to explain. She'd put a teaspoon of filling in the leaf, then add or subtract more after looking at it. She's quick rolling, and I have no idea how she knows how much filling.

And she really couldn't explain it - just said that you have to look at it and it's by feel. It sounds like my yiayia and she's younger than me! I told her that and she just shrugged. She tried to talk me through it as we were rolling together but it seemed so random to me.

What do you serve for Greek Easter?

With Greek Easter just around the corner, I'm getting excited to celebrate with family and friends. One of my favorite parts of this holiday is the delicious feast we enjoy together. I'm curious to hear what dishes everyone serves at their Greek Easter gatherings.

Whether you have cherished family recipes passed down through generations or you're trying something new this year, I'd love to hear about it. From traditional favorites like lamb and tzatziki to mouthwatering desserts like baklava and tsoureki, every dish adds to the festive atmosphere.

So, what's on your Greek Easter menu this year? Are there any must-have dishes or special treats that you look forward to? Feel free to share recipes, tips, or simply your excitement for the upcoming celebration. Let's swap ideas and inspire each other to make this Greek Easter memorable!

Us? We are grilling a leg of lamb and serving it with lemon potatoes and fasolakia. For dessert we are doing some kind of a chocolate cake and of course koulourakia.

How to learn about different regional cuisines in Greece?

I have learned so much about Greek cuisine by being on this forum! I know that there are standard recipes that everyone seems to cook.

For example, you can get souvlaki all over. Everyone seems to serve a village salad with slight variations. Most regions seem to make moussaka. There are tons of others.

I have also noticed that each region has their own specialties. How do you go about learning about them?

greek-salad.jpg
Sign up for a free account and share your thoughts, photos, questions about Greek food, travel and culture!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology.
Join Worldwide Greeks here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Back