1 - 3 of 3 Posts

nadellii

I like to make my own homemade fries but in order to do it the "Greek way" you really need to use olive oil!

Peel and slice the potatoes. Place the potatoes in water for a few minutes to remove some of the starch. Remove from the water and blot with paper towels.

Add about 1-inch of oil in a fry pan. Set the heat to medium and let the oil heat.

Place some of the potatoes in the oil in a single layer.

Cook them until golden brown on one side. Flip over using a fork or pair of kitchen tongs.

Each side will take 3-5 minutes to cook.

Remove from heat and place on clean paper towels. Sprinkle with Greek sea salt.

Repeat the process until you run out of potatoes.

After they blog I arrange them on a platter, sprinkle them with crumbled feta cheese and oregano, and serve. They go with just about everything or are great by themselves!

Reactions: Laura48
This is very close to how I make it! Sometimes, though, I cut the potatoes before I put in the water, and sometimes I don't. Always remember to blog the water, though, before putting the potatoes in the oil.

Reactions: nadellii
This is very close to how I make it! Sometimes, though, I cut the potatoes before I put in the water, and sometimes I don't. Always remember to blog the water, though, before putting the potatoes in the oil.
That's interesting about how you use the water trick. How long do you soak them typically?

How to learn about different regional cuisines in Greece?

I have learned so much about Greek cuisine by being on this forum! I know that there are standard recipes that everyone seems to cook.

For example, you can get souvlaki all over. Everyone seems to serve a village salad with slight variations. Most regions seem to make moussaka. There are tons of others.

I have also noticed that each region has their own specialties. How do you go about learning about them?

greek-salad.jpg

Stuffed grape leaves - how much filling?

I haven't made stuffed grape leaves in a while and I have some questions.

First of all, I am having a hard time judging how much filling to put in each leaf? I have a friend who helped me and tried to explain. She'd put a teaspoon of filling in the leaf, then add or subtract more after looking at it. She's quick rolling, and I have no idea how she knows how much filling.

And she really couldn't explain it - just said that you have to look at it and it's by feel. It sounds like my yiayia and she's younger than me! I told her that and she just shrugged. She tried to talk me through it as we were rolling together but it seemed so random to me.

Enjoying Cooking with Greek Honey

One of the things I love most about Greek honey is its versatility. You can use it in so many different ways in the kitchen. I've drizzled it over Greek yogurt for breakfast, mixed it into salad dressings for a touch of sweetness, and even used it as a glaze for roasted vegetables. The depth of flavor it adds to dishes is truly remarkable.

But perhaps my favorite way to use Greek honey is in baking. It adds a wonderful depth of flavor to cakes, cookies, and pastries. I recently made a batch of baklava using Greek honey, and it was a game-changer. The honey soaked into the layers of phyllo dough, creating a sweet and sticky treat that was absolutely irresistible.

I go out of my way to buy it - if I can't find it locally, I get it online. When I go to Greece, I get some in Greece, too.

What do you love to use Greek honey for?

greek-honey.jpg

Greek Halva Recipe to Enjoy During Lent?

I love Halva year round but I often see it a lot during Lent. My recipe doesn't seem Lent friendly to me. Any ideas on how I can adapt it?

Ingredients:
  • 1 cup semolina
  • 1 cup granulated sugar
  • 1/2 cup unsalted butter
  • 2 cups water
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1/4 cup chopped almonds or walnuts (optional)
  • 1/4 cup raisins (optional)
Instructions:
  1. In a medium-sized saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat.
  2. Add the semolina to the melted butter and stir continuously for about 5-7 minutes, or until the semolina turns golden brown and begins to emit a nutty aroma.
  3. While stirring the semolina mixture, gradually add the sugar and continue to cook for another 2-3 minutes until the sugar is fully incorporated.
  4. Slowly pour in the water, stirring constantly to avoid lumps from forming. Be careful as the mixture may splatter.
  5. Reduce the heat to low and continue stirring the mixture until it thickens to a porridge-like consistency, about 5-7 minutes.
  6. Stir in the ground cinnamon and optional chopped nuts and raisins, if using.
  7. Remove the saucepan from the heat and let the halva rest for a few minutes to thicken further.
  8. Serve the halva warm or at room temperature, either as a dessert or a sweet breakfast treat.

What do you serve for Greek Easter?

With Greek Easter just around the corner, I'm getting excited to celebrate with family and friends. One of my favorite parts of this holiday is the delicious feast we enjoy together. I'm curious to hear what dishes everyone serves at their Greek Easter gatherings.

Whether you have cherished family recipes passed down through generations or you're trying something new this year, I'd love to hear about it. From traditional favorites like lamb and tzatziki to mouthwatering desserts like baklava and tsoureki, every dish adds to the festive atmosphere.

So, what's on your Greek Easter menu this year? Are there any must-have dishes or special treats that you look forward to? Feel free to share recipes, tips, or simply your excitement for the upcoming celebration. Let's swap ideas and inspire each other to make this Greek Easter memorable!

Us? We are grilling a leg of lamb and serving it with lemon potatoes and fasolakia. For dessert we are doing some kind of a chocolate cake and of course koulourakia.
Sign up for a free account and share your thoughts, photos, questions about Greek food, travel and culture!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology.
Join Worldwide Greeks here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Back