1 - 4 of 4 Posts

nm1999

I love to make gyros at home. For a sauce, I usually use tzatziki (either store bought or homemade). When I buy tzatziki it's usually the Greek store.

However, I know that there is another sauce option for gyros. I have encountered it in Greece but I don't know what it is! It kind of tastes like tzatziki, but it's a bit of a light orange color.

Does anyone know what it is and how I can make it at home?

k_tsoukalas

I agree that homemade tzatziki is so much better but sometimes I just don't have a chance to put it together. The store bought doesn't compare, but it's better than nothing I guess. The best is when I have time to do it right and pick up some homemade Greek yogurt from the Greek store.

Reactions: nm1999

nm1999

I have head that the sauce I am trying to think of involves ketchup... if that helps jog people's memories.

ellinasgolfer0320

The name of the sauce you're talking about is called "sauce" (see picture), and it's commonly eaten with a chicken gyros while tzatziki is eaten with pork. If you go north of Athens, then people start doing different things. For example, in volos you get tzatzik, mustard, and ketchup - tzatziki on the pita, and mustard and ketchup will be on the French fries.

Anyway, "sauce" is made by mixing Greek yogurt with mustard, mayonnaise, and ketchup. My wife makes it without the yogurt because we like a stronger flavor...20221130_192518.jpg

Last edited:

How to Make Soutzoukakia?

I recently had soutzoukakia and I loved it! They seemed similar to Keftedes meatballs but they were shaped differently, and I couldn't tell but they may have been grilled?

Does anyone know how to make these? I was just going to make my regular meatball recipe and put it on a stick and cook it on the grill. I didn't know if there was more to it than that!

Preserving Fresh Herbs from the Store?

It's cold out and I don't have garden herbs. I have some herbs growing indoors but not everything I need. So, I have been buying them at the store.

They don't last long at all! They're good maybe for 2-3 days but then I have to toss them. Any advice on how to keep them fresh or maybe even preserve them so I get the fresh taste still without relying on the fridge? People have told me to try freezing them and that didn't work - they got a freezer taste and got all mushy in the freezer (it was gross!).

Help with judging rice amounts in pilafi

My friend makes a great chicken pilafi and towards the end, she adds orzo or rice. She uses 1 whole, cute up chicken with the bone in, and cooks it in a mixture of herbs, spices, and tomato paste. Then she said, "look at at the liquid to determine how much rice or orzo to put, then measure it in a coffee cup." The explanation of how to know how much rice to put took a few minutes and I thought I understood, but then I went home and tried the recipe and something wasn't right. I clearly added too much. I am trying to piece together 1. what I did wrong and 2. how should I have gauged it in the first place?

Can someone help me make fasolakia?

I recently had a mishap while making fasolakia. The beans all fell apart. I am assuming I overcooked the beans but I am not sure because I have cooked the dish this long in the past without issues.

What was different about this time is I decided to put potatoes in it to make it a bit heartier for winter. Should I have not done this? Maybe I really cooked it longer than I thought because of the potatoes?

Greek-Style Fish "Dressing"

I don't know what else to call this ... I bumped into a recipe for ladolemono that had olive oil, lemon, oregano, garlic, and some onion. I decided to make a ladolemono similar to this, but adjust the seasonings for fish.

I plan to make salmon this week! So instead of oregano I will be using freshly chopped dill, and I think garlic would be too strong from salmon so am going to use a small shallow and no onion either. What do you guys think? I think it sounds like it will be delicious, and I can maybe even use this for other seafood if it goes well.
Sign up for a free account and share your thoughts, photos, questions about Greek food, travel and culture!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology. Join Worldwide Greeks here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Follow Worldwide Greeks:
Facebook Twitter Instagram
TikTok Pinterest YouTube