1 - 3 of 3 Posts

dpappas87

It's still summer, and there is plenty of fresh produce left to eat. I think about the time I have spent in Greece and how healthy I have felt eating that way, and I want to replicate this while home outside of Greece. So, I thought I would make a list of some of my favorite, healthy Greek dishes. Please share yours, too!

1. Village salad (choriatiki)
2. Lentil soup (fakes)
3. Chicken souvlaki (I don't put a lot of olive oil in the marinade)
4. Eggplant spread (melitzanasalata)
5. Dolmades - stuffed grape leaves
6. Spanakorizo (spinach rice)

I am curious - which healthy Greek dishes do you like the best?

k_tsoukalas

I agree, it is still summer. Kids are back to school but the weather is still spectacular! This is a great time of year for some delicious summer foods. Here are my choices:

1. Homemade Greek tomato soup with orzo
2. Greek village salad
3. Spanakopita
4. Grilled corn, like they do in Greece (street food)
5. Horta

Lenio

I love the various salads like cucumbers mixed with Greek yogurt, lots of dill, salt and a touch of oil.
Also, the easy potato salad - boiled potatoes, tomato cucumber onion, olive oil salt and oregano.

So much fresh produce that you dont even need to cook to enjoy

Tiropitakia Recipe Just Like the Street Food?

I had a delicious tiropitakia recently in Athens on the street and it was sooo good - better than other versions I have had. First of all, the phyllo was so crispy I don't know how they do it! It was also bigger than other ones I have had. When I make them at home I think I will make them bigger.

My question is, how did they get it so crispy? I always use butter but something was different about this. Could they be using a different type of butter? Are they mixing the butter with olive oil?

Then, there is a question of the cheeses. It wasn't Feta - it was creamier. They maybe put a little Feta in it, but the mixture was a lot creamier than I've had. What cheese could be responsible for this? It kind of had a mild, creamy goat cheese type of flavor. I also thought I tasted a touch of nutmeg.... I never thought of that.

Any thoughts you have on how I can recreate this are appreciated!

Squash Dish with Phyllo?

My mother used to make this squash dish around this time of year that involved phyllo, but I can't remember what it is called! I lost my mother's recipes and miss her cooking so much, I am trying to recreate some of my childhood favorites. She used to sometimes use zucchini, other times she'd use butternut squash. It was kind of sweet but not sweet like a dessert. Just enough sweetness.

How Do You Make Your Greek Village Salad?

I got turned onto this salad recently and I realize that it's such a nice change of pace from the salads I usually make. I love how it doesn't use lettuce because I don't always seem to have it on hand.

Here is the combination I like for mine. How do you guys like making it?

- tomatoes
- cucumber
- green bell peppers
- red onion or scallion
- kalamata olives
- feta cheese
- plenty of olive oil
- oregano

I like it a bit room temperature so after I make it, I set it on the counter for maybe 45 minutes before I dive in. It also gives the flavors a chance to meld together. I would like to try making other combinations!

Greek American Thanksgiving Rice/ Hamburg Dish?

My family makes this dish and I am trying to recreate it and maybe even try something different... I know it might take me a while to nail down my technique before Thanksgiving, and I will even want to do at least one test run.

As far as I can tell this is basically the technique:

Sauce one chopped onion
Brown the hamburg
Add salt, pepper, and spices (I think my family uses allspice?)
Stir in the rice
Add water
Cook it.
Stir in roasted chestnuts.

As you can see, I don't know amounts or timing. Can someone help me recreate it?

Interesting Greek Dishes to Cook

I found this list of Greek dishes to cook. Some of them I have cooked, some I have not. Either way, I was thinking of trying them out, even the ones that I have cooked before - every chef has their own way of doing things and I thought this might be a nice project for this fall. Do you guys have any suggestions?

Sign up for a free account and share your thoughts, photos, questions about Greek food, travel and culture!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology. Join WorldwideGreeks.com here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Follow WorldwideGreeks.com:
Facebook Instagram Twitter