1 - 3 of 3 Posts

paharo45

I have some people in my life who need a gluten free diet. When I have them over, I like to accommodate. However, it is easier said than done sometimes. I find that most other people don't even notice if I sneak a gluten free pasta in my Greek food here and there. I know I could always substitute rice for some dishes, but in some cases I really do feel I need to use the pasta.

I have a hard time finding the gluten free pasta that I need, so I was thinking to make it. I make pasta with gluten all the time but my first gluten free attempt was a disaster. It fell apart and I felt I didn't know how to control the dough.

Do you guys have any advice?

PemiKanavos

Administrator
Staff member
Hi Paharo45,
I’m so sorry to hear that your first attempt to gluten free pasta was a disaster.
The reason the past fell apart was because of the lack of gluten. Gluten is what hold any dough together. You would need to use a different flour, such as rice flour and potato starch as well as xanthum gum in order to hold the dough together.

k_tsoukalas

This is a great tip to use xanthum gum. I have a gluten free friend who is having issues with this very thing, and I don't think she realizes that she needs to use another ingredient to hold the dough together. I will pass it along!

Making Greek Fish Soup with the Heads?

I was just reminiscing in another thread about how my family would use the fish heads (less expensive at the fish market when they were immigrants) to make Greek Fish Soup. I don't remember how my family made it!

I don't remember if they maybe made the broth first, took out what meat the could from the fish, and then added there fish if they could find it?

Has anyone made fish soup using the heads of the fish?

Making Greek baked beans advice...

I saw a recipe for Greek baked beans in tomato sauce and I want to make it.

It calls for dried gigantes beans, which I can't find. Can I use any dried bean? I was thinking dried, white lima beans. I also think I read in another thread that someone here uses butter beans? Can I use canned beans? That would make things so much easier...

Simple Greek Desserts to Try?

I am not a baker really but I love eating sweets, in small amounts, after dinner.

I am trying to find some recipes! Does anyone have a good recipe for that chocolate cracker log thing? I have heard it called "Salami" and also "mosaiko". It has crackers (or biscuit cookies really), cocoa powder, there ingredients I forget. I watched someone make it once...

Also, I do eat fruit, dried fruit, Greek yogurt with honey, etc for dessert sometimes. Any other ideas?

Greek-Style Fish "Dressing"

I don't know what else to call this ... I bumped into a recipe for ladolemono that had olive oil, lemon, oregano, garlic, and some onion. I decided to make a ladolemono similar to this, but adjust the seasonings for fish.

I plan to make salmon this week! So instead of oregano I will be using freshly chopped dill, and I think garlic would be too strong from salmon so am going to use a small shallow and no onion either. What do you guys think? I think it sounds like it will be delicious, and I can maybe even use this for other seafood if it goes well.

Quick Greek Dinner Ideas

Many of the Greek dishes I know how to cook are very time consuming for me to put together, like stuffed grape leaves and spanakopita.

Sometimes, I want to eat Greek food, but I don't want to spend a lot of time in the kitchen. Can you think of some easy Greek suppers besides salads to eat? I cook village salad and cabbage salad, but am also open for suggestions for different salads. I know I could always serve souvlaki with them. I know that is fairly quick, aside from the marinating.
Sign up for a free account and share your thoughts, photos, questions about Greek food, travel and culture!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology. Join Worldwide Greeks here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Follow Worldwide Greeks:
Facebook Twitter Instagram
TikTok Pinterest YouTube