1 - 1 of 1 Posts

greggd12

That's probably one of the most important events in Greek history! March 25 marks Greece's independence from the Ottoman empire and almost 400 years of struggle to free themselves from occupation. This is one of the biggest national holidays in Greece, and everyone gets the day off. There is usually a parade, and school children will learn about the history and recite poems in school. Here are some clips of the parade in Greece for you all to enjoy.

Greece Marks International Museum Day with Free Admission!👍

New archaeological museum maps history of western Crete .

The history of dressing for apokries (Greek carnival)

Apokries is the Greek carnival that happens right before Holy Lent, so it changes every year. It is sort of similar to Halloween....but not really. Comparing it to Halloween is really the best way to describe it to someone who is from a country that does not have this celebration. Dressing up in costumes is a practice that dates all the way back to Ancient Greece and was then incorporated to celebrate the Orthodox period before lent. Many different areas of Greece have specific costumes that people will usually dress up as. But for the most part, people can dress up as pretty much anything they want.

What is the difference between the Roman and Byzantine empire?

This is something that has always confused me. I've seen people use the words Roman and Byzantine interchangeably, but I'm pretty sure that the Roman empire was led by the Italians, and the Byzantine empire by the Greeks/Romans. Does anyone see my confusion here? And is someone able to clarify?

Who is your favorite Greek leader?

Throughout all of the years and empires throughout Greek history, who is your favorite leader? Who do you think did the best job in leading and supporting Greece. Personally I think Venizelos was great, since he contributed greatly to the modern success of Greece both domestically and on an international level.
Share and discuss Greek history!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology. Join WorldwideGreeks.com here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Follow WorldwideGreeks.com:
Facebook Instagram Twitter