1 - 1 of 1 Posts

greggd12

That's probably one of the most important events in Greek history! March 25 marks Greece's independence from the Ottoman empire and almost 400 years of struggle to free themselves from occupation. This is one of the biggest national holidays in Greece, and everyone gets the day off. There is usually a parade, and school children will learn about the history and recite poems in school. Here are some clips of the parade in Greece for you all to enjoy.

This is what the traditional costumes of Greek soldiers look like

Traditional Greek soldiers are called "evzones" and were the soldiers who fought against the Ottoman occupation of Greece. Nowadays, Greek soldiers dress in modern military clothing with camouflage. Greek soldiers will dress in the evzone costume for special occasions and for guarding the tomb of the unknown soldier in Athens. This is what the traditional costume looks like

History-of-the-Traditional-Evzone-Uniform.jpg

The uninhabited island of Delos hosts its first concert in thousands of years!

The island of Delos has been uninhabited since the ancient times. In Greek mythology, it is considered to be the birthplace of Apollo. The island is full of ancient Greek history, and it now stands as an archeological site that people can visit near the island of Mykonos. In just about a week, there will be a concert which will bring musicians from around the world to hold a special concert on the island. I have my fingers crossed that we'll see more and more of these performances over time, and the tourists will be able to visit the site and see some more parts of modern Greek culture like this concert.

Learn about the history of Cyprus 🇨🇾

As with all Greek territories, Cyprus has undergone many changes of power throughout history, starting from the ancient times. The first change of power came with the Phoenicians followed by the Persian empire. After approximately 200 years of Persian occupation, Alexander the Great took control of Cyprus. Cyprus was then a part of the Byzantine empire, as was all of Greece, until it was occupied by the British Empire, and then the Ottoman Empire (as with all of Greece as well). After Greece and Cyprus became independent from Ottoman rule, Cyprus was then again conquered by the British until it became independent in 1960. As you can see, the history is a long list of changes in power, leaving Cyprus with thousands of years of occupation and control. This is an unfortunate truth, but something that is important that we should be aware of.

These are the best history museums in Greece

Greece has some of the best museums of history museums in the world! And amazing opportunities to see history up close in archaic relics like the Parthenon and Epidavros. These are the best history museums in my opinion, but please let me know your favorites!

- Acropolis Museum
- Heraklion Archeological Museum
- Museum of Byzantine Culture
- National Archeological Museum

Were Antiochus I of Commagene and Antiochus I Soter related?

I am super confused between these two as I have read that Antiochus I of Commagene was the one who had built Mount Nemrut(Turkey) but when I read the history and properties of the king who had built the Mount Nemrut, it is more likely "Antiochus I Soter" or his son "Antiochus II Theo" because they both had "God complex" , they were called King of the Universe and Theo(God) respectively.

Moreover, Antiochus I of Commagene and Antiochus I Soter don't seem to be related if I track their family line and they seem to rule slightly different areas but the heritage and family attributes that local Turkish guides provide about the king that is associated with Mount Nemrut is more similar to the Antiochus I Soter or his Son Antiochus II Theo. But is their any chance that Antiochus I of Commagene is related to the aforementioned Kings, like could they be his ancestors or something?

I have found not much information online as the Turkish websites either attribute the king as simply Antiochus I or Antiochus I of Commagene Theo which is absolutely wrong because no King having name Antiochus I had title Theo in the history.

If anyone could provide the clarity with a little background, I would be really grateful.
Share and discuss Greek history!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology. Join WorldwideGreeks.com here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Follow WorldwideGreeks.com:
Facebook Instagram Twitter