1 - 4 of 4 Posts

LisaH

Hi! I will be in Athens for a few days soon, including May Day (Sunday) and May 2nd (observed). I've read about and seen videos of the strikes that happen, including trains and ferries not operating. I'm planning to visit Hydra one of those two days. Since May Day is on a Sunday this year, is it more likely that transportation via ferry will be stopped on May 1st or the observed day May 2nd?

Thank you kindly for any thoughts you can give!

ellinasgolfer0320

It's more likely that things will be shut down on Sunday.

Last edited:
Reactions: LisaH

lalajess

I didn't even realize that May Day was a "thing" in Greece. Do you know what kinds of celebrations they do? I also never know how to handle the "strikes" in Greece, because it seems like every time I am in Greece lately someone is on strike... I seem to navigate it, but I am not sure how things would affect travel if the ferry workers are on strike and I needed to use a Ferry.

Reactions: seleanor

seleanor

I didn't even realize that May Day was a "thing" in Greece. Do you know what kinds of celebrations they do? I also never know how to handle the "strikes" in Greece, because it seems like every time I am in Greece lately someone is on strike... I seem to navigate it, but I am not sure how things would affect travel if the ferry workers are on strike and I needed to use a Ferry.
My best advice is to avoid the city center of Athens and say inside, especially during the night. Strikes and protests can become violent and they are pretty unpredictable.

Reactions: LisaH

Great Athens Restaurants for Dining

I love the restaurants in Athens - they're just so amazing. The chefs in the city do a great job giving a variety of foods from Greek cuisine, from the old to the new. I found this link with a nice list of nine restaurants that I plan to try. What do you guys thing? Have you been to any of these?

Athens Full of Tourists’ as Greece Extends Tourism Season !

LAST MINUTE OFFERSON GALILEO!

If any one is lucky or has an opportunity to be on Galileo they will never ever forget these experiences.Many years I formulated an itinerary for Aris Drivas Yatching and Galileo was in Mykonos for an initial practice and presentation sailing around the Cyclades!I didn't have time to go sailing with her, just being on board and seeing her again moored in Syros for many days was just magical..
Share and discuss your Athens photos, questions and experiences!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology. Join Worldwide Greeks here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Follow Worldwide Greeks:
Facebook Twitter Instagram
TikTok Pinterest YouTube