1 - 4 of 4 Posts

blopez34

Meeting local Greek farmers is one of the best ways to experience Greek culture and eat and try the native Greek food. Wherever you visit in Greece, you can ask around from the locals and find out where the farms are. Most people in Greece are very friendly and kind and will be willing to show you around and offer you some vegetables or olives to try.

Deborah

In my experience Mytilene and Crete are the best islands for farm-to-table enthusiasts, but this advice is correct…just ask a local and even in the most touristed areas, you’ll find restaurants that feature local produce.

In Chania, Crete I highly recommend Dounias (just beyond the Therisso Gorge - about 45 minutes outside the city). If Stelios isn’t too busy he’ll give you a tour of his farm, but at the very least, you’ll see the daily dishes being cooked up in clay pots over open fire. Reservations are recommended for this casual, but very popular place!

Reactions: nadellii

nadellii

In my experience Mytilene and Crete are the best islands for farm-to-table enthusiasts, but this advice is correct…just ask a local and even in the most touristed areas, you’ll find restaurants that feature local produce.

In Chania, Crete I highly recommend Dounias (just beyond the Therisso Gorge - about 45 minutes outside the city). If Stelios isn’t too busy he’ll give you a tour of his farm, but at the very least, you’ll see the daily dishes being cooked up in clay pots over open fire. Reservations are recommended for this casual, but very popular place!
Agreed, Crete is the place to be. It has some of the most advanced yet traditional agriculture in all of Greece.

k_tsoukalas

Meeting local Greek farmers is one of the best ways to experience Greek culture and eat and try the native Greek food. Wherever you visit in Greece, you can ask around from the locals and find out where the farms are. Most people in Greece are very friendly and kind and will be willing to show you around and offer you some vegetables or olives to try.

Agreed, this has been my experience in Greece, particularly on Crete because I visited a lot of farms while there. Did a Raki tasting at a farm and we pretty much had dinner there during the tasting, they had a nice spread of traditional Cretan foods to try while we were tasting. Plus, I noticed that Greeks don't seem to want people to drink without food - they always bring food over even at cafes and bars, even if I just ordered a drink. I remember my sis and I ordered cocktails at a cafe and they brought over loukoumades on the house.

Greek snacks to bring on your road trip

There are so many Greek snacks that you could bring on your trips and road trips this summer! The first one that I recommend is spanakopita of course. This is a classic and will never disappoint. Other types of pitas are great as well such as tiropita and kreatopita. For sweet snacks I recommend pasteli, papadopoulos cookies and rice pudding. You can buy all of these on the go in Greece if you're on a road trip in Crete or on the mainland and you can also make them at home to bring along.

How to make Greek frozen yogurt ice cream (without an ice cream maker)

Making frozen yogurt ice cream is such a good way to indulge in a healthy dessert. You can make this with an ice cream maker if you want, but you don't actually need one. I don't have one myself, so I love making this at home in the summertime. It's much lower in calories and compared to regular ice cream and it's much healthier for you. Depending on your needs, you can add less sugar. Whenever I make this for my brother I add honey because he has diabetes.

Strapatsada is Greeces tasty egg dish

This dish is fantastic! I saw it on the menu for the first time and had to try it. It’s super simple, just eggs and tomato scrambled with feta cheese on top. The name of the dish sounds italian but I’m not sure if it’s origins. I love it and will definitely be making it at home.
4FEDEE90-22E0-445B-A510-963C043E3C86.jpeg

The best Santorini white wines

Santorini is famous for its white wines. I'm not a huge wine person myself, but I always find myself reaching for Santorini wine when it's on the menu. There are so many different wines to choose from, and its really up to your own taste. I don't ever believe that the best wine is the most expensive. Here are a few wines that you should at least try!

Assyrtiko
Tselepos
Nychteri
Vinsado

What are your favorites?

Loukoumades are the best shareable dessert

Loukoumades are Greek balls of fried dough covered in honey or syrup and cinnamon. Nowadays, there are many different variations and you can order these with Nutella, pistachio, and different sweets on top. Sometimes I like to get mine with ice cream as well. They’re perfect for sharing, and kids love them!
7D7AAAE2-F09F-4E5C-A1B1-C8DD3D9E82DF.jpeg
Sign up for a free account and share your thoughts, photos, questions about Greek food, travel and culture!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology. Join WorldwideGreeks.com here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Follow WorldwideGreeks.com:
Facebook Instagram Twitter