1 - 4 of 4 Posts

auroracoor1

When I was in school, I remember learning about Greek Mythology in school and reading some of the myths and legends. I actually don't remember the specifics of the stories, but I was just thinking that I DO remember the food mentions! I came across this article when I was trying to research it online. I found it interesting:

These are some of my favorite Greek foods! Maybe that's why it was memorable...

k_tsoukalas

I always loved the Greek myths and legends and the food references were memorable! It was the first time I had been exposed to the "pomegranate". I forgot which story it was mentioned in. I had never had one before that. I think it might have been associated with Persephone? I have since learned that I love pomegranates!

Reactions: auroracoor1

auroracoor1

Right? I think it might have been a Greek myth that inspired me to eat my first pomegranate!

ndatta

Does anyone know what type of food ambrosia might have been? If it was worth stealing from the gods, it had to be pretty good

The story of Hercules

Hercules is probably one of the most famous Greek figures, having a famous Disney movie after his story. As most Greek mythology stories, his starts from a dark place, being unwanted by his family. The Oracle provided him with 12 labors that he needed to defeat. This video goes over all of them!

List of Olympian Gods?

There are so many gods and goddesses of Greek Mythology I am trying to keep it all straight. There are 12 Olympians - some lists have different gods and goddesses listed. Does this look right?

1. Zues
2. Hera
3. Poseidon
4. Demeter
5. Athena
6. Apollo
7. Artemis
8. Ares
9. Aphrodite
10. Haphaestus
11. Hermes
12. Hestia

Some people put Dionysius... but that would make 13. What do you guys think?

Mentions of Food in Greek Mythology

When I was in school, I remember learning about Greek Mythology in school and reading some of the myths and legends. I actually don't remember the specifics of the stories, but I was just thinking that I DO remember the food mentions! I came across this article when I was trying to research it online. I found it interesting:

These are some of my favorite Greek foods! Maybe that's why it was memorable...

Most interesting stories of Greek mythology?

I have gotten into studying Greek Mythology. So far, I have looked into the story of Icarus and the War of the Titans. Does anyone have any advice for stories I should check out? On my list also is to read the Iliad and the Odyssey. I tend to like stories of adventure - the Icarus tale I found to be sad... but I would read anything.

I remember in school I had to read a book about Greek Mythology - I forget the name of it - but it had a bunch of stories in it.

Visit the temple of Poseidon in Cape Sounion

The temple of Poseidon is one of the mainlands most beautiful ancient Greek structures. The temple was built by the ancient Greeks in honor of the god Poseidon, who is said to be the god of the sea. Near the Temple, there are freestanding statues of young men. The temple was built strategically by the ancient Greeks, at the very tip of the mainland and overlooking the sea. That's why this temple is so beautiful to visit, since you have a great view of the ocean and the horizon.
Share and discuss Greek mythology!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology. Join Worldwide Greeks here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Follow Worldwide Greeks:
Facebook Twitter Instagram
TikTok Pinterest YouTube