1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is one of the best markets in the city with many historical roots! You can really find anything here and more and more vendors are coming every year with new foods, fruits, veggies, art and practically anything! I went food shopping there and it was so fun to chat with all of the farmers and hear about where the food was from :)

modiano-market-thessaloniki-720x480.jpeg

greek_ggirl

This is one of the best markets in the city with many historical roots! You can really find anything here and more and more vendors are coming every year with new foods, fruits, veggies, art and practically anything! I went food shopping there and it was so fun to chat with all of the farmers and hear about where the food was from :)

View attachment 499
I love traditional markets!! I would love to visit one day and check out all of the fresh produce

k_tsoukalas

Thanks for the information! This looks like a great place.

amygdalE

View attachment 499

View attachment 499
I am too old to travel and to enjoy the benefits pointed out by WG, so I do some navigating on the internet. The word "Modiano" caught my eye since I knew it as the name of an Italian publisher of Tarocchi [tarot playing cards], which I researched some years ago. // I have been attracted to Thessaly [ Thessalia or Pet-thalia] since I read Plato' "Cratylus", in which he searched for the meaning of "ApollOn", the name of the ancient god. In the process, he mentioned that this god is called Haplos in Thessaly. Believe it or not, I was in the process of exploring the source of an Etruscan [Italic] god called Aplu, after whom the Romans named a month, namely April. Aplu had statues and temples north of Rome. My etymology:
aprilis (mons/month) < apr-ilis < apru-ilis, the latter component being a Latin adjective-maker < aplu+ilis. Hence, April [directly from the Old French Aprille] means "Apollo's Month or "the Apollonian Month". I also found the meaning of the god's Ionian name.

Last edited:
Reactions: greek_ggirl

greek_ggirl

I am too old to travel and to enjoy the benefits pointed out by WG, so I do some navigating on the internet. The word "Modiano" caught my eye since I knew it as the name of an Italian publisher of Tarocchi [tarot playing cards], which I researched some years ago. // I have been attracted to Thessaly [ Thessalia or Pet-thalia] since I read Plato' "Cratylus", in which he searched for the meaning of "ApollOn", the name of the ancient god. In the process, he mentioned that this god is called Haplos in Thessaly. Believe it or not, I was in the process of exploring the source of an Etruscan [Italic] god called Aplu, after whom the Romans named a month, namely April. Aplu had statues and temples north of Rome. My etymology:
aprilis (mons/month) < apr-ilis < apru-ilis, the latter component being a Latin adjective-maker < aplu+ilis. Hence, April [directly from the Old French Aprille] means "Apollo's Month or "the Apollonian Month". I also found the meaning of the god's Ionian name.
Good point, I didn't realize that Modian isn't a traditionally "Greek" name until you pointed it out

ladytina

Not just tarot, but playing cards. Company even has a wikipedia page:

I wonder how the market came to be named Modiano!? Anyone know?

You can learn to play the The Lyre of Apollo at the Seikilo Museum in Thessaloniki

This museum is probably one of the most unique ones that I've seen. It's pretty small, but it's packed with many rich activities and experiences. One of the coolest ones that I would love to try is learning how to play the Lyre from a professional artist. Before you would like to participate, you will need to let the museum know that you will be visiting and that you are interested. No prior music experience is required!

More info

What are the best day trips from Thessaloniki?

I’ve been wanting to visit Thessaloniki for a while now, but of course I can’t visit a city without hitting the beach right after! Are there any good day trips from the island that people recommend?

What makes food and drink so special in Thessaloniki restaurants ?

Katerini is a great tourist town outside of Thessaloniki

Katerini is a lesser known beach and tourist town near Thessaloniki. There are some great restaurants right by the water that are very authentic and offer many different options like meze as well as home style Greek food. I’ve only visited once but I plan on going again when I visit Thessaloniki. Have any of you visited.

What do Athenians think about Thessaloniki?

Before any Athenians or Greeks get their feelings hurt in the comments, please know that this video was just for fun! Personally, I love both Athens and Thessaloniki and have had great experiences in both places. I have found that Athens is very beautiful during Christmas time, and I prefer to travel there in the off-season since it can get very hot during the summer and pretty empty during August. Thessaloniki is great during the summer because it's right by the water so you can enjoy that cool ocean breeze.

Share and discuss your Thessaloniki photos, questions and experiences!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology. Join WorldwideGreeks.com here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Follow WorldwideGreeks.com:
Facebook Instagram Twitter