1 - 3 of 3 Posts

auroracoor1

What is the most common seafood in Greece?

I recall having an abundance of delicious, fresh caught seafood but I can't remember the names of most of the fish. I had delicious octopus and that's the only thing I remember for sure.

I am going to Greece again - I thought I would try to figure what are some fish and other seafood, besides octopus, that I should look forward to?

I see octopus everywhere. I think I may have eaten fresh sardines at one point. Maybe some calamari and a different kind of lobster, too...

From what I can tell, here is a list of common options:

- Octopus
- Sardines
- Anchovies
- Calamari
- Shrimp
- Mussels
- Red Mullet
- Sea Bream
- Sea Bass
- Cuttlefish

I don't know what is the most common, but I know what I like!

- grilled or braised octopus
- sea mullet
- small fresh, deep fried sardines
- basically anything fresh caught

Recipe for Grilled Hallloumi Cheese

I love to grill and this recipe is simple and easy, and complements most grilled meals very well! I serve this with a squeeze of lemon.

Ingredients:

• 8 oz (225 g) halloumi cheese
  • 2 tablespoons olive oil
  • 1 teaspoon dried oregano
  • 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
  • Freshly ground black pepper
  • Optional: a pinch of chili flakes
  • Fresh herbs (parsley, mint, or dill) for garnish
  • Lemon wedges for serving
Instructions:

1. Prepare the Halloumi:
    • Remove the halloumi cheese from its packaging and pat it dry with a paper towel.
    • Cut the halloumi into 1/2-inch thick slices.
  2. Marinate the Cheese:
    • In a small bowl, combine the olive oil, dried oregano, lemon juice, and a sprinkle of black pepper (and chili flakes if using).
    • Brush both sides of the halloumi slices with the olive oil mixture. Let it sit for about 10 minutes to absorb the flavors.
  3. Preheat the Grill:
    • Preheat your grill to medium-high heat. If using a grill pan, heat it over medium-high heat until hot.
  4. Grill the Halloumi:
    • Place the marinated halloumi slices on the grill or grill pan.
    • Grill for about 2-3 minutes on each side, until the cheese is golden brown and has grill marks. Be careful not to overcook, as halloumi can become rubbery if left on the grill for too long.

Advice for Making Taramasalata from Scratch?

I'm hoping to get some advice on making taramosalata from scratch. I've tried a few recipes, but I can't seem to get the texture and flavor just right. Here are a few specific questions I have:
  • Which type of roe should I use? I've seen recipes that use carp, cod, and even bottarga. Does it make a significant difference in taste and texture?
  • What's the best method for achieving a smooth consistency? My attempts often turn out a bit too lumpy or grainy.
  • Any tips on balancing the flavors? Some batches come out too salty or too bland. What's the ideal ratio of roe to other ingredients like lemon juice and olive oil?
  • Do you have any secret ingredients or techniques? I've read about people adding things like bread or potatoes. How do these additions affect the final product?
I'd love to hear your suggestions or see your tried-and-true recipes. Thanks in advance for your help!

Tips for working with phyllo?

I'm planning to make some traditional Greek dishes and I've decided to tackle working with phyllo dough for the first time. I've heard it's quite delicate and can be tricky to handle, so I was hoping to get some advice from those of you with experience.

What are the best tips for keeping the phyllo sheets from tearing? Should I work with them straight out of the fridge, or let them come to room temperature first? Any recommendations for the best brands to buy or tips for homemade phyllo? Also, how do you keep the dough from drying out while you're working with it?

I’m aiming to make spanakopita and baklava, so any specific tips for these recipes would be greatly appreciated.

Ordering at a Greek taverna?

'm heading to Greece soon and can't wait to experience an authentic Greek taverna. I'm a bit overwhelmed with what to order and how to make the most of the experience.

Any recommendations on must-try dishes or drinks? Are there any customs or etiquette I should be aware of? I'd love to hear your tips on what to order, how to enjoy the meal, and any local secrets that can make my visit memorable.

Thanks in advance! I want to try to have a traditional experience there.

Tips for Moussaka - Making it Authentic

I’m planning to try my hand at making moussaka this weekend, and I really want it to be as authentic as possible. I've done some research, but I would love to hear tips and advice from those who have experience making this delicious dish.

Here are a few specific questions I have:

• Ingredients: What are the essential ingredients for an authentic moussaka? Are there any specific brands or types you recommend?
  • Eggplant Preparation: What’s the best way to prepare the eggplant to ensure it’s not too bitter and has the perfect texture?
  • Meat Layer: I’ve seen recipes using both beef and lamb. Which one is more traditional, and do you have any tips for seasoning the meat?
  • Béchamel Sauce: This part seems tricky! Any advice on making a creamy, lump-free béchamel sauce?
  • Layering and Baking: How thick should the layers be, and how long should it bake to get that perfect golden top without overcooking?
Thanks in advance!
Sign up for a free account and share your thoughts, photos, questions about Greek food, travel and culture!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology.
Join Worldwide Greeks here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Back