knicks_fan87

Here are a few must see Greek tv shows :) in no particular order

1. Kafe tis xaras
2. To Nisi
3. Para pente
4. Peninta Peninta
5. Savatogenimenes

ellinasgolfer0320

You might like Kostantinou kai Elenis (Κωνσταντίνου και Ελένης), and To Soi Sou (Το Σόι Σου)

Reactions: francescool

Vangelis

1. To Nisi
2. Aggeliki
3. Hlios

francescool

Reactions: Vangelis

Vangelis

Aggeliki is amazing!!! One of the best newer shows in my opinion
Yes, I love the dialog and complex interactions between the characters. And of course, Aggeliki is a powerful, intelligent, articulate and competent character the likes of which I have not seen in any TV series, Greek or otherwise.

francescool

Yes, I love the dialog and complex interactions between the characters. And of course, Aggeliki is a powerful, intelligent, articulate and competent character the likes of which I have not seen in any TV series, Greek or otherwise.
I agree, its pretty rare in relation to many Greek shows that are sitcoms and comedies. Im tired of the same old stuff about mother in laws and relationship feuds. Aggeliki is very refreshing and I hope to see more shows like that. It also has many actors that Ive never seen before...many shows have the same actors (even though they're talented I like to see new faces)

k_tsoukalas

Here are a few must see Greek tv shows :) in no particular order

1. Kafe tis xaras
2. To Nisi
3. Para pente
4. Peninta Peninta
5. Savatogenimenes
This is great! I like watching Greek shows to help me build my Greek skills.

lalajess

This is great! I like watching Greek shows to help me build my Greek skills.
I have to admit, I need to brush up on my Greek. Watching shows like this is a great idea!

Reactions: nadellii

nadellii

I have to admit, I need to brush up on my Greek. Watching shows like this is a great idea!
The good thing about Greek shows is that they're always available for free online!

Vangelis

I have a couple more to add to this list that I have discovered since my previous post:

1. Τα καλύτερά μας χρόνια - you can watch this at: https://www.ertflix.gr/series/ser.127653-ta-kalytera-mas-chronia
2. Kart Postal - https://www.imdb.com/title/tt15180114/

The first one is about a family living in Athens from the late 60s to the 70s. It's great because it goes through all the historical turmoil that Greece went through with the Junta, the Politechnio, the first democratically elected government, etc. The history is shown through the B&W TV that the family buy so they mix real footage in with the show in a natural and very clever way. I thoroughly recommend it.

Reactions: acamp7 and lalajess

lalajess

Ooo! Thank you for sharing these additions. The first one especially sounds interesting. That was a turbulent time in Greece.

Reactions: acamp7 and Vangelis

acamp7

I have a couple more to add to this list that I have discovered since my previous post:

1. Τα καλύτερά μας χρόνια - you can watch this at: https://www.ertflix.gr/series/ser.127653-ta-kalytera-mas-chronia
2. Kart Postal - https://www.imdb.com/title/tt15180114/

The first one is about a family living in Athens from the late 60s to the 70s. It's great because it goes through all the historical turmoil that Greece went through with the Junta, the Politechnio, the first democratically elected government, etc. The history is shown through the B&W TV that the family buy so they mix real footage in with the show in a natural and very clever way. I thoroughly recommend it.
Thank you!! I've always wanted to learn more about the Politechnio

Finding a Wedding Planner in Greece?

I decided to do a destination wedding in Greece. I mentioned in an earlier thread that I am not an Orthodox Christian but have decided on the Athens area because I think there are some great photo opportunities all over the city and it is a bit more accessible. Anyway, I know I need help getting everything organized. How does one go about finding a wedding planner in Greece who can help?

Greek Table Etiquette?

I haven't really thought of this, but there is a lot of etiquette for dining in the Greek culture. What do you guys think? It looks like there is a lot to think about:

In particular, the section on doing toasts was fascinating. I noticed that just about at every meal, someone is doing a toast. Do you guys have anything to add?

What type of wedding reception is common in Greece?

I am just curious - what types of wedding receptions are common in Greece? For the most part, it looks like the celebrations often take place outside, and there are usually a lot of people there. As I am not Greek and don't have family in Greece, my reception would be pretty small. I don't know what to do!

Tips for Learning Greek While in Greece?

Now that I am getting older, I realize how important my Greek heritage is. So, I've made it my mission to learn more about it. One of the things I want to do is get better at Greek. And sure, I know I can use language programs - but it seems to me that learning it while in the country might be a little easier. I know that a 2 or 3 week trip won't make me fluent, but I bet it can give me a really good head start. Do you guys have any tips for how I can immerse myself in the Greek language while I am in the country?

Translating a few lines from English to Greek

Can anyone possibly help me translate a few lines into Greek? I used to be able to read and write Greek when I was a child, but these days I can barely read at all.

I have a few lines of Greek dialogue in a book I'm writing, and even though Google Translate does a reasonable job of translating English to Greek, from what I can make out, the translation doesn't look correct in the way a normal Greek would casually say the words - the translation just looks a little too formal. Could someone possibly take a look for me - it would only take a few minutes to read through the 3 - 4 lines?

Thanks
Share and discuss Greek traditions related to Greek weddings, christenings, dance & holidays!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology. Join WorldwideGreeks.com here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Follow WorldwideGreeks.com:
Facebook Instagram Twitter