1 - 2 of 2 Posts

francescool

Crete is the biggest island in Greece, meaning that there are dozens of museums to explore all over the island! Depending on your taste in museums, you can really find anything and everything across the board from art, to history, to sculpture. Some of the best and most worthwhile museums are...

- Folklore Museum of Chania
- Historical Museum of Crete
- Heraklion Archaeological Museum
- Archaeological Museum of Rethymno
- Lychnostatis Open Air Museum

k_tsoukalas

There is so much to do on Crete - these museums are just a small percentage. I love that Crete has some much to do. I love going to a museum, doing some shopping, then lounging on a beach - all on the same day! :)

Visit Mirambello Bay on your next trip to Crete

Mirambello Bay is rarely talked about and I have no idea why! This spot is absolutely perfect for swimming and lounging. It is actually one of the the biggest bays in all of Europe, and has very calm and clear water. There is an excellent tourist town nearby that is called Agios Nikolaos with many restaurants and shops that have an excellent view of the bay. Check it out next time you visit Crete!

Where Exactly is the Cave of Zeus?

What to do in Hersonissos Crete

Hersonissos is a great town that is located just outside of Heraklion, which is one of the main cities in Crete. The best place to visit is the Roman archeological remains, which have been left since the 7th century by the Roman Empire. The ruins have ancient burial grounds, baths and workshops. I also recommend visiting Lychnostatis Open Air Museum and Labyrinth Park, both are great places to take your family as well.

Maleviziotikos is a beautiful and energetic Cretan dance!

I have never seen this beautiful Cretan dance live but I'm sure this video does it justice! As you can see, the dance is very energetic and seems to be very celebratory.I can imagine that it takes a lot of cardio and stamina to preform for a long period of time. I would love to know more information about when this dance is used, and what it signifies in the Cretan. I am not Cretan myself, so I am not too sure.

Cretan agriculture is top notch!

Crete has developed some of the most innovative agricultural technology to support their booming business and exports. The majority of Crete's exports are agricultural, and namely olive oil. Many of Crete's natural resources such as water are cultivated to support the industry, almost 80% of Crete's water is used for agriculture. These farmers are just one example of what the island is doing to sustain themselves.

Share and discuss your Crete photos, questions and experiences!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology. Join WorldwideGreeks.com here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Follow WorldwideGreeks.com:
Facebook Instagram Twitter