1 - 5 of 5 Posts

amygdalE

As I am interested in comparing modern Greek culture with ancient Greek and non-Greek cultures, I found a very informative post on how name-day is celebrated in Orthodox Greece, which is essntially the same as in Catholic Italy, although this custom is vanishing in Italy. Anyway, the given list of Greek names informs me they have different origins -- a cultural fact: [this URL works only occasionally]
https://greekreporter.com/2021/03/19/greek-name-days-greek-orthodox-tradition
I wish to add that the celebration of name/onoma-day goes back to the Dorian custom of officially giving a name to a child 10 days after his birth, without reference to the festive days of the gods. Thus a given child could be identified as a citizen of his polis. The Dorians took their customs with them wherever they migrated; so, we find that in Palestine, the Hebrews gave a name to a child 9 days after his birth, when he was taken to the temple for circumcision, whereby he was inducted to the holy People of God. The presentation/manifestation of Jesus to the temple was naturally called Epiphany [Epiphaneia] by the Greek Chistians. The Hebrew Epiphany-day corresponds to the Christian Baptism-day, which happens to be the name-day. (In the 13th century, baptismal records were kept in Latin-rite churches. So, we know how a child's first and last name were formulated. E.g.: Marco Ferrari [Marco son of Ferraro/*Ferrarus/the smith], using the Latin gentive case, which had disappeared in the emerging Italian language. {{Merry Epiphany/Chistmas.}}

Last edited:
Reactions: seleanor

seleanor

As I am interested in comparing modern Greek culture with ancient Greek and non-Greek cultures, I found a very informative post on how name-day is celebrated in Orthodox Greece, which is essntially the same as in Catholic Italy, although this custom is vanishing in Italy. Anyway, the given list of Greek names informs me they have different origins -- a cultural fact:
www.greekreporter.com/2021/03/19/greek-name-days-greek-orthodox-tradition
I wish to add that the celebration of name/onoma-day goes back to the Dorian custom of officially giving a name to a child 10 days after his birth, without reference to the festive days of the gods. Thus a given child could be identified as a citizen of his polis. The Dorians took their customs with them wherever they migrated; so, we find that in Palestine, the Hebrews gave a name to a child 9 days after his birth, when he was taken to the temple for circumcision, whereby he was inducted to the holy People of God. The presentation/manifestation of Jesus to the temple was naturally called Epiphany [Epiphaneia] by the Greek Chistians. The Hebrew Epiphany-day corresponds to the Christian Baptism-day, which happens to be the name-day. (In the 13th century, baptismal records were kept in Latin-rite churches. So, we know how a child's first and last name were formulated. E.g.: Marco Ferrari [Marco son of Ferraro/*Ferrarus/the smith], using the Latin gentive case, which had disappeared in the emerging Italian language. {{Merry Epiphany/Chistmas.}}
Beautiful! The link you shared from Greek reporter isn't working! Can you post the working one? Thanks :)

amygdalE

Beautiful! The link you shared from Greek reporter isn't working! Can you post the working one? Thanks :)
It's frustrating! Please click again and when the GREEKREPORTER site appears, click on their "greek name days". (Other sites on the same subject do not have a list of Greek names or a calendar of name celebrations.)

Reactions: tomipark

Patisqua

In years gone by we celebrated Namedays. We visited friends and family on the Sunday after the Nameday. We were offered brandy and Port, glass of water, a chocolate bar or glyko tou koutali followed by mezethes. For really close relatives lunch or dinner. It was a great way of keeping in touch. Invitations were not issued, you just turned up. As that generation reposed, unfortunately so did the tradition. Now we might call, send a text or email.

greek_ggirl

In years gone by we celebrated Namedays. We visited friends and family on the Sunday after the Nameday. We were offered brandy and Port, glass of water, a chocolate bar or glyko tou koutali followed by mezethes. For really close relatives lunch or dinner. It was a great way of keeping in touch. Invitations were not issued, you just turned up. As that generation reposed, unfortunately so did the tradition. Now we might call, send a text or email.
I miss this tradition so dearly. I want to bring it back amongst my friends and family, at least those who live close by so we can share what's going on in our lives. It feels like we've grown apart, and some of us have gotten lost. But one thing that Covid has taught me is that it's really important to stay close to your loved ones and of course enjoy the little things like glyko tou koutali

What are your favorite Greek news websites?

I’ve been wanting to stay caught up with a Greek and use for sometime now, but I don’t have really good access to Greek TV through cable or through my smart TV. I usually like to watch on YouTube or on the websites directly. Can anyone recommend me a Greek news channels that posts on the internet that have really good journalism? I like to have a new perspective and keep up with what’s going on in Greece in Europe. Thanks so much everyone! Happy new year!

Merry Christmas to the Worldwide Greeks community!

Merry Christmas to everyone in the worldwide Greeks community! I am so happy that I have found a place where I can chat with others in this forum. I wish everyone a blessed Christmas and a very happy New Year. As the Greeks say, Xronia Polla! And let's not forget that today is the name day of anyone named Maria, Mario, Panagioti (please let me know if I am forgetting anyone). Xronia Polla to all of those celebrating their name days. 🎄

Did you know about the Greek New Years pomegranate tradition?

This is one of Greece's most beautiful traditions that is rooted in Ancient and modern traditions. The pomegranate is the symbol of good fortune, fertility and luck which is why it is associated with New Years. One of the Greek customs that people do on New Years is taking a pomegranate and breaking it open by throwing it outside of your house on New Years day. If you throw it hard enough and it opens on the fist try, it will bring the most luck to you and your family in the New Year!

Celebrating Ephiphany Italian style in Venice!♥️

These are the best Greek dances for big groups!

I love Greek dancing, and my favourite Greek dances are the ones that are done in massive groups for weddings, baptisms, and birthday parties. The Greeks really know how to have fun and have everyone join in! My favorite group dances are...

1. Kalamatiano: This is the most classic group dance and probably this easiest one to do and join in on
2. Tsamiko: This is probably the second most popular dance!
3. Balos: Balos is pretty easy to learn and is done in pairs (great for weddings)
Share and discuss Greek traditions related to Greek weddings, christenings, dance & holidays!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology. Join WorldwideGreeks.com here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Follow WorldwideGreeks.com:
Facebook Instagram Twitter