1 - 5 of 5 Posts

tomipark

Thoughts on chain hotels on the island? Im not a huge fan tbh...

Reactions: Hash

Worldwide Greeks Editor

Administrator
Staff member
Personally, I am not a fan of big chain hotels in Greece (other than airport Hilton, which I have stayed at and is truly amazing). Especially on the Greek islands my thought is leave it independently owned and operated...those are my 2 cents :)

Jerry s

Personally, I am not a fan of big chain hotels in Greece (other than airport Hilton, which I have stayed at and is truly amazing). Especially on the Greek islands my thought is leave it independently owned and operated...those are my 2 cents :)
I didn't know there was a Hilton Hotel at Elefterios Venizelos airport. When did it open? I'm a frequent visitor and stay at Sofitel at the airport the night before I fly out. Due to Covid I haven't been for 2 years now.

Big chain hotels have one advantage when you are at a foreign country, you know they have a certain standard all over the world so you know what to expect.

kcixcy

I didn't know there was a Hilton Hotel at Elefterios Venizelos airport. When did it open? I'm a frequent visitor and stay at Sofitel at the airport the night before I fly out. Due to Covid I haven't been for 2 years now.

Big chain hotels have one advantage when you are at a foreign country, you know they have a certain standard all over the world so you know what to expect.
Yes, this is very true. I never know when a hotel is good or bad in Greece because the smaller ones don't have many reviews online

k_tsoukalas

Some people really like chain hotels and rely on them when they travel. Like my parents only use a certain hotel chain when they travel. Greece has been tricky for them. If the chain were to have a location in Greece, it would make their lives easier.

Visit the Symposium Cultural Center in Santorini

The Symposium Cultural Center is a fantastic place to go to when youre visiting the island. You will have access to everything from Greek food, art, history and culture through exhibitions and workshops. If you like hands on activities, I highly recommend that you sign up for a workshops with your friends or family when you visit. It is a great bonding activity and a nice way to experience all that Santorini has to offer. Here is the website and some links

https://www.symposionsantorini.com

What are your recommendations for Santorini?

I'm going to be going to Santorini for a couple of days after a small trip to Athens this summer. I've never been before and I really don't know where to start. I'm going to be travelling alone and looking to see the size and pretty much anything that Santorini has to offer. I'm not too picky when it comes to hotels and restaurants, so any advice that you have from your first hand experiences would be great. Also, if there are any extremely touristy areas that I need to avoid during certain times, please let me know.

The best foods to try while in Santorini

Santorini is a great place for foodies and those seeking to have the best gastronomic and culinary experiences in Greece. Santorini has very unique dishes that you won't find in other areas of Greece and the Cyclades. Some of my favorites are fava, domatokeftedes, kopania, and chloritiri cheese. You may not find all of these at every single restaurant, but it's definitely worth seeking them out while you're here.

Where to explore the history of Santorini

Santorini has such a deep and rich history that definitely should be explored on your next trip to the island. The Ancient Byzantine Castle is one of the best places to start your exploration of the history of the island. The Byzantine Empire played one of the most influential roles in the culture in history of ancient Greece. The empire was led by Christian rulers, who spread the Greek orthodox religion throughout the country. You can also visit the Akrotiri Archaeological Site which shows ruins from the bronze age, dating back to 1600 BC. Safe travels!

The best place to go scuba diving in Santorini

Santorini is one of the best places to go scuba diving because the island was created from a volcano many years ago which makes the sea life very different from other areas of Greece. There are very unique Coral reef Sandrock formations that have come from the volcano, and as always, the sea is teeming with wildlife. I highly recommend visiting Caldera Lagoon and arranging that you go scuba diving there. There are a few local schools that you should call ahead of time to schedule your slot. Best of luck!
Share and discuss Santorini photos, questions and experiences!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology. Join WorldwideGreeks.com here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Follow WorldwideGreeks.com:
Facebook Instagram Twitter