1 - 7 of 7 Posts

Vangelis

Now hear me out. I usually go to see a performance at the Odeon of Herodes Atticus theatre every time I visit Athens. A few times I have seen operas there. In fact, I have only been to operas at this theatre, having never been to an opera at any other time in my life. I have to say it is an amazing experience. If you are going this year and you have never been to an opera, Toscana is being performed here as part of the Athens & Epidaurus Festival. Do yourself a favour and go see it. You can find details here: https://whyathens.com/events/tosca-greek-national-opera/

And to get you in the mood, here are a couple of photos of the last opera I went to see there:

IMG_20190609_212402.jpg

IMG_20190609_214430.jpg

Reactions: Hash and cf_fraiser

cf_fraiser

Now hear me out. I usually go to see a performance at the Odeon of Herodes Atticus theatre every time I visit Athens. A few times I have seen operas there. In fact, I have only been to operas at this theatre, having never been to an opera at any other time in my life. I have to say it is an amazing experience. If you are going this year and you have never been to an opera, Toscana is being performed here as part of the Athens & Epidaurus Festival. Do yourself a favour and go see it. You can find details here: https://whyathens.com/events/tosca-greek-national-opera/

And to get you in the mood, here are a couple of photos of the last opera I went to see there:

View attachment 1034

View attachment 1035
These photos are stunning! One thing I love about Greece is that you will always have a good view no matter how far back you're sitting.

Reactions: Vangelis

Vangelis

These photos are stunning! One thing I love about Greece is that you will always have a good view no matter how far back you're sitting.
True. I actually was in the "cheapest" seats at 20 euro and the proximity to the stage was perfect. Also with the acoustics, there was no electronic amplification but everything could be heard very clearly.

Reactions: nm1999

nm1999

True. I actually was in the "cheapest" seats at 20 euro and the proximity to the stage was perfect. Also with the acoustics, there was no electronic amplification but everything could be heard very clearly.
As a music lover myself, I must say that the ancient Greeks had some of the most sophisticated sound engineering!!

Reactions: Vangelis

Deborah

This is excellent advice with stunning photos! It’s so easy to book, the theatre is welcoming, and it’s always an experience of a lifetime. Sadly many travelers don’t think of it. The most popular shows sell out quickly so it’s good to plan ahead.

d_kakavouli

This is excellent advice with stunning photos! It’s so easy to book, the theatre is welcoming, and it’s always an experience of a lifetime. Sadly many travelers don’t think of it. The most popular shows sell out quickly so it’s good to plan ahead.
I've never thought of it myself!! But I definitely will go now :)

Hash

View attachment 1034

View attachment 1035
Just Wow!🤗🤗

Reactions: efhernandez_

These are the best hookah lounges in Athens

Hookah lounges are becoming more and more popular in Athens and Greece. Originally, this was an ottoman tradition that faded out. But now it’s coming back, as it is all over the world. Cigarettes and vaping are also pretty popular, so the tobacco culture is definitely there in Greece. The two larges that I recommend are Misafir and Hookaholic. I’ve been to both, and the vibes and service were great. I ordered food, and drinks, and Shisha and was very pleased. Definitely check them out next time you’re in the city.

Check out Vouliagmeni for classy beachside restaurants

Vouliagmeni is about half an hour from Athens by car and is a great place for beachside dining. I find that this area has amazing views and is much less crowded than Athens. I haven't been to any beaches there, so please let me know if there are good spots to swim nearby. I usually go for dinner if im staying in Athens and then take a taxi back. My favorite spots are Ithaki and Lavros. :) Check them out!

Check out this beautiful view from Athens

At the top of Athens, you can see all the way across to Lycabetus hill. This view is one of the best I’ve seen, I will never get tired of Athens. 27BE11C9-C9CC-4645-9EC4-E212C5DE1308.jpeg

Make sure to bring your water bottles and sunscreen to Athens! Its heating up

Year after year, Athens is hitting record highs for temperature. This year, it's getting so hot that we're seeing wildfires again. I highly recommend that if you're visiting the city, that you wear a lot of sunscreen and stay very hydrated. Heatstroke and sun disease are actually very common in Greece, and can be very dangerous. Make sure that you're in the shade, and stopping in restaurants and shops that have air conditioning.

Beautiful views from our day trip to Aegina

We took a wonderful day trip to Aegina from Athens! The ferry boat was so short and delightful. It took about one hour from Piraeus which is the country’s largest port. We rented an ATV which was about 35€ for the day and took it around the whole island. It’s definitely not touristy and much more quiet than other islands. I definitely recommend it for a quick getaway.

7FBADC0A-C80A-461C-8397-C0189933A9D5.jpeg
Share and discuss your Athens photos, questions and experiences!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology. Join WorldwideGreeks.com here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Follow WorldwideGreeks.com:
Facebook Instagram Twitter