1 - 5 of 5 Posts

seleanor

This classic tragedy is still read and performed today. In the play, a father leaves his own son, Oedipus, to die in a field. Rather than die, he is taken in by another family and raised. While with this family, Oedipus is told by an Oracle that he will murder his father and sleep with his mother. Despite his best efforts to prevent this from happening, he does both of these things.

amygdalE

This classic tragedy is still read and performed today. In the play, a father leaves his own son, Oedipus, to die in a field. Rather than die, he is taken in by another family and raised. While with this family, Oedipus is told by an Oracle that he will murder his father and sleep with his mother. Despite his best efforts to prevent this from happening, he does both of these things.
Where do you find tragedy? In the verification of the oracle or in somethimg else?

paharo45

Where do you find tragedy? In the verification of the oracle or in somethimg else?
I thought tragedy is what they call all Greek plays?

amygdalE

I thought tragedy is what they call all Greek plays?
No, my friend. There are two main species of Greek plays (dramas): tragedy and comedy. Aristophanes wrote comedies. In extreme forms, comedies are called farces. I will not answer the question I asked you; I will only point out that "tragedy" [< trago-ode : goat-song] originally was a lament by goat-attired men who exactly mourned the death of Dionysus (the mythical god-man, the son of Zeus and a human female, wherefore he inherited a double nature, just as Jesus of Nazareth will do in more recent times. The theater where tragedies were performed always had an altar to Dionysos, even when the tragedies had nothing to do with Him. But then, why do we call some dramas tragedies? What is lamented (usually by a chorus -- in a drama itself-- that represents the witnesses of something "tragic"? There are many theories, as by Aristotle, by Nietzsche, and others.

Reactions: paharo45

paharo45

No, my friend. There are two main species of Greek plays (dramas): tragedy and comedy. Aristophanes wrote comedies. In extreme forms, comedies are called farces. I will not answer the question I asked you; I will only point out that "tragedy" [< trago-ode : goat-song] originally was a lament by goat-attired men who exactly mourned the death of Dionysus (the mythical god-man, the son of Zeus and a human female, wherefore he inherited a double nature, just as Jesus of Nazareth will do in more recent times. The theater where tragedies were performed always had an altar to Dionysos, even when the tragedies had nothing to do with Him. But then, why do we call some dramas tragedies? What is lamented (usually by a chorus -- in a drama itself-- that represents the witnesses of something "tragic"? There are many theories, as by Aristotle, by Nietzsche, and others.
Interesting how there is no in-between, just tragedy and comedy. Funny to think of our media now and how there are so many categories

How Greece joined the European Union

After World War II and Greece's Civil War, Greece had the opportunity to build itself back up again and renew it's a economy. A lot of European nations decided that creating a strong union would increase solidarity and improve the economy amongst the countries after World War II. Greece was influenced to sign the agreement and it officially join the European Union in 1981. There was a lot of back-and-forth on whether this was actually a good idea and whether it truly benefitted agrees to join. What do you all think?

European-Union-720x479.jpg

UNESCO Calls on UK to ‘Reconsider’ Returning Parthenon Marbles to Greece .

What geographical areas did Ancient Greece rule?

I didn't always know this....but I decided to do some research. These are the main areas where Ancient Greece ruled although it spanned all over the world at one point

Where-Was-Ancient-Greece-Exactly.jpg

Who was Ioannis Metaxas?

Ioannis Metaxas was the Prime Minister of Greece from 1936 to 1941. History looks at him as a general and dictator, but that may not necessarily give the whole picture. Sure, for the first four months of his stint as prime minister he did govern Greece with the constitution in mind. Yes, he eventually abandoned the constitution and formed the 4th of August Regime, but just looking at these events only gives part of the story. Here’s more detail into the life and career Ioannis Metaxas, one of the most recognizable names in modern Greek history. To say the least, the guy was HUGE in Greece!

How do you celebrate Oxi Day?

How do all of you celebrate? I love attending any parades that are happening

Oxi-Day-720x480.jpg
Share and discuss Greek history!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology. Join WorldwideGreeks.com here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Follow WorldwideGreeks.com:
Facebook Instagram Twitter