1 - 2 of 2 Posts
I mentioned in a previous thread that I made taramasalata for a dinner party. I want to serve other dips or spreads. I am thinking three is a good number. I don't want to serve hummus - I want to do something different.

I was thinking tzatziki and one other. What do you suggest? I was thinking the one with eggplant or the Fava spread that I see sometimes in menus.

Kopanisti - a spicy feta dip - is a great choice, and so is Santorini fava dip.

Greek methods of food preservation?

I remember my family doing some things to preserve food as I was growing up but we got away from them. The thing is, some of the options were actually delicious! My yiayia made sun-dried tomatoes, spoon sweets, her own tomato paste, etc. It was one of the things that made her food delicious.

I am trying to figure out what she did! I am curious if anyone knows anything about the following:

- Traditional Techniques: I know the ancient Greeks did a lot of preserving and some of the methods translate to modern?
- Modern Adaptations to Old Techniques: Maybe to make the process easier?
- Local Variations: Are there different regional things?

Stuffed grape leaves - how much filling?

I haven't made stuffed grape leaves in a while and I have some questions.

First of all, I am having a hard time judging how much filling to put in each leaf? I have a friend who helped me and tried to explain. She'd put a teaspoon of filling in the leaf, then add or subtract more after looking at it. She's quick rolling, and I have no idea how she knows how much filling.

And she really couldn't explain it - just said that you have to look at it and it's by feel. It sounds like my yiayia and she's younger than me! I told her that and she just shrugged. She tried to talk me through it as we were rolling together but it seemed so random to me.

Roundup of Easy Recipes to Start Cooking Greek Food

I know a lot of people who want to start cooking Greek food but are intimidated. I want to help them out by brainstorming a list of "easy win" foods to get started making.

Here's what I have - do you have anything to add?

• Greek Village Salad (Horiatiki)
  • Tzatziki
  • Greek Lemon Chicken
  • Greek Lemon Potatoes
  • Souvlaki
  • Greek yogurt with honey and walnuts
  • Grilled Halloumi cheese
  • Fasolakia
  • Briam
  • Greek style lamb chops

What do you serve for Greek Easter?

With Greek Easter just around the corner, I'm getting excited to celebrate with family and friends. One of my favorite parts of this holiday is the delicious feast we enjoy together. I'm curious to hear what dishes everyone serves at their Greek Easter gatherings.

Whether you have cherished family recipes passed down through generations or you're trying something new this year, I'd love to hear about it. From traditional favorites like lamb and tzatziki to mouthwatering desserts like baklava and tsoureki, every dish adds to the festive atmosphere.

So, what's on your Greek Easter menu this year? Are there any must-have dishes or special treats that you look forward to? Feel free to share recipes, tips, or simply your excitement for the upcoming celebration. Let's swap ideas and inspire each other to make this Greek Easter memorable!

Us? We are grilling a leg of lamb and serving it with lemon potatoes and fasolakia. For dessert we are doing some kind of a chocolate cake and of course koulourakia.

Greek Halva Recipe to Enjoy During Lent?

I love Halva year round but I often see it a lot during Lent. My recipe doesn't seem Lent friendly to me. Any ideas on how I can adapt it?

Ingredients:
  • 1 cup semolina
  • 1 cup granulated sugar
  • 1/2 cup unsalted butter
  • 2 cups water
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1/4 cup chopped almonds or walnuts (optional)
  • 1/4 cup raisins (optional)
Instructions:
  1. In a medium-sized saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat.
  2. Add the semolina to the melted butter and stir continuously for about 5-7 minutes, or until the semolina turns golden brown and begins to emit a nutty aroma.
  3. While stirring the semolina mixture, gradually add the sugar and continue to cook for another 2-3 minutes until the sugar is fully incorporated.
  4. Slowly pour in the water, stirring constantly to avoid lumps from forming. Be careful as the mixture may splatter.
  5. Reduce the heat to low and continue stirring the mixture until it thickens to a porridge-like consistency, about 5-7 minutes.
  6. Stir in the ground cinnamon and optional chopped nuts and raisins, if using.
  7. Remove the saucepan from the heat and let the halva rest for a few minutes to thicken further.
  8. Serve the halva warm or at room temperature, either as a dessert or a sweet breakfast treat.
Sign up for a free account and share your thoughts, photos, questions about Greek food, travel and culture!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology.
Join Worldwide Greeks here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Back