1 - 2 of 2 Posts

xmelissaa

If you are looking for relaxation while visiting the island of Kefalonia, Petani Beach is the perfect choice. The water and sand with white pebbles are a sight to see. Once you’re done admiring the surroundings, you can lay down some beach towels, get a sun bed and umbrella, and lounge the day away. :)

petani-beach-kefalonia-768x512.jpeg

k_tsoukalas

There are so many worthwhile beaches to visit in Kefalonia! Petania is one of them, but there are others

Have you seen drogarati cave in Kefalonia?

Drogarati cave is the kid that has existed for centuries, but was discovered only 300 years ago and is open for tourists!! You may find this cave a little bit spooky, or absolutely beautiful. It has many stalegtites and stalelmites that cover the cave. The cave was even used during World War II if you can believe it. Take a guided tour, where someone will explain to you the history of the cave and the uses during the war. Here are some links for more info

These are the top monasteries that you should visit in Kefalonia

If you were interested in learning about the Greek Orthodox religion, monasteries are a great way to start. They represent a very traditional and preserved part of the religion, that you will not find in the church. I always recommend visiting operating monasteries so that you can get an opportunity to see the monks. Here are some of the top ones in my opinon

1. Monastery of Argilion
2. Monastery of Agios Andreas
3. Monastery of Lagouvarda
4. Monastery of Sissia

Ammes beach is one of the best beaches on Kefalonia

Ammes beach is in the Svoronata area which is very close to the airport. Its about 10 km southwest of Argostoli and one of the best beaches on the island! It's a pretty low-key beach with some great organized lounge chairs but as with most beaches in Greece, you can find a public spot where you can swim with ease and free of charge. The beach is super sandy and the waters are very clear. I highly recommend it!

Single travellers

I am arriving in Argostoli at the end of May. I am a single traveller, dont drive, quite elderly! Anyone have suggestions re trips/excursions? (Am a seasoned visitor to the island).

Have you tried Mandola? Its Kefalonias most famous sweet

Mandola is a very popular sweet in Kefalonia and it is one of the biggest exports from the island. This treat is made of almond, honey, sugar and egg whites. The dessert has a few different variations, but is usually gluten free! The ingredients are very simple which is why they are so allergen friendly. I was doing some research and apparently these cookies are originally from the Venetian occupation in Kefalonia.
Share and discuss your Kefalonia photos, questions and experiences!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology. Join WorldwideGreeks.com here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Follow WorldwideGreeks.com:
Facebook Instagram Twitter