1 - 4 of 4 Posts

efhernandez_

Rethymno is stunning 😍 post your pictures in this thread I would love to see them

rethymno-crete-720x480.jpg

Worldwide Greeks Editor

Administrator
Staff member
Here is my photo of Rethymno, Crete: 🇬🇷🇬🇷

attractions-rethymno-768x449.jpeg

Reactions: francescool

francescool

This city is just beautiful!! Thanks everyone for sharing these pictures :)

fortezza-crete-greece-900x600.jpg

k_tsoukalas

This is the cool shot of the port:

rethymno-port.jpg

Cretan agriculture is top notch!

Crete has developed some of the most innovative agricultural technology to support their booming business and exports. The majority of Crete's exports are agricultural, and namely olive oil. Many of Crete's natural resources such as water are cultivated to support the industry, almost 80% of Crete's water is used for agriculture. These farmers are just one example of what the island is doing to sustain themselves.

What to do in Hersonissos Crete

Hersonissos is a great town that is located just outside of Heraklion, which is one of the main cities in Crete. The best place to visit is the Roman archeological remains, which have been left since the 7th century by the Roman Empire. The ruins have ancient burial grounds, baths and workshops. I also recommend visiting Lychnostatis Open Air Museum and Labyrinth Park, both are great places to take your family as well.

Essentials to See in Crete?

I live in Greece, but am a bit nomadic. I plan to spend an extended period of time on Crete in a rental and I want some advice about what to do while here! I found this link:

I know this site is geared towards tourists, and I am an expat living in Greece so I am not quite a tourist. But, I am a writer and plan to finish something on Crete before I move on.

From that list, is there anything here that you think I absolutely won't want to miss? For me, the time tends to fly and even if I am in a place for a few months, I get swept up in the daily life and don't seem to do as much as I originally planned. I need a plan!

Visiting Theriso on Crete.. Advice?

Lately I have heard so much about Theriso and how great it is, particularly the food. It seems like it is a "must visit" on Crete. What do you guys think? Do you have any advice for me? I have been looking into Cretan cuisine and wanting to collect information for my next trip to Greece.

What is Cretan Cuisine Like?

As I have been researching Greek food, culture, and recipes I came across information about the cuisine of the island of Crete, which looks to be a bit different than the rest of Greece. Is my impression true? Here are some of my observations:

** The food is ultra fresh and most people eat seasonally. I know, this is typical of all of Greece, but the climate on Crete makes the food supply pretty diverse so it stands out with this island

** The cuisine seems to have had influences from various places through the centuries, both because of various groups occupying Greece, such as Venetian and Ottoman, and also because of trade and its location - the island is pretty far south

** There are some interesting and unique food specialties, like dakos, koukouvagio (some type of salad), and other food items...

So, when traveling to Crete it looks like the cuisine is a big part of those travels. What do you guys think? Any other advice you can give? I think I might go to Crete in the near future to explore these ideas.
Share and discuss your Crete photos, questions and experiences!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology. Join Worldwide Greeks here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Follow Worldwide Greeks:
Facebook Twitter Instagram
TikTok Pinterest YouTube