1 - 2 of 2 Posts

kcixcy

I have been trying to develop an intuitive feel for Greek cooking. One of the dishes I have been trying to test these principals on is keftedes. I have made them a few different ways ... First of all, sometimes I use different meats or different combinations of meats. I have used beef, pork, lamb, and combinations of these. I am the same way with herbs used in the mix - sometimes I use spearmint, parsley, oregano, I tried dill once (didn't like it).

I have done so much experimenting that I have lost sight ... what are Greek keftedes really? Talking with people, I realize that the recipes differ greatly depending on the family.

Jawge

I have been trying to develop an intuitive feel for Greek cooking. One of the dishes I have been trying to test these principals on is keftedes. I have made them a few different ways ... First of all, sometimes I use different meats or different combinations of meats. I have used beef, pork, lamb, and combinations of these. I am the same way with herbs used in the mix - sometimes I use spearmint, parsley, oregano, I tried dill once (didn't like it).

I have done so much experimenting that I have lost sight ... what are Greek keftedes really? Talking with people, I realize that the recipes differ greatly depending on the family.
Add hamburg, egg and sliced bread to a bowl. Add spearmint and parsley. Mix by hand. Pick up 2 inch balls. Fry in olive oil. That's what Ma did. Simple and simply delicious. :)

Advice making a smaller pastitsio

I love pastitsio, but my recipe calls for making it in a huge pan (bigger than a 9 x 13 and I think even bigger than a lasagna pan). Sometimes, I don't want to make that much! I am trying to wrap my mind around how to reduce the portions. I know I could halve the recipe but some of the issue is that I make this dish by feel and don't always follow the recipe to a T.

I really want to make it in an 8 x 8 because this is the perfect amount for dinner with no leftover. Sometimes I don't even want leftovers and just would rather make the food from scratch.

Other "Leaves" to Use for Stuffing?

I have seen various "stuffed" leaf-type dishes in Greek cuisine, and I am realizing that the filling is always pretty similar. The two common ones I see are grape leaves (delicious in early summer when I can pick the leaves) and cabbage.

I noticed that there are other types of "leaves" that can be used. I think someone says they often use Swiss chard? What else can be used? I love every type of dish in this category. Thanks!

How to Use Spoon Sweets?

I am about to make my first ever spoon sweet. Someone told me that there was a it of a ritual associated with it?

I went over someone's house once and they gave me some spoon sweets with some Greek coffee and water. I am kind of getting the feeling that this is a pretty typical experience?

Besides the ritual, how else are spoon sweets used? Can I eat them like jam?

Making Greek Fish Soup with the Heads?

I was just reminiscing in another thread about how my family would use the fish heads (less expensive at the fish market when they were immigrants) to make Greek Fish Soup. I don't remember how my family made it!

I don't remember if they maybe made the broth first, took out what meat the could from the fish, and then added there fish if they could find it?

Has anyone made fish soup using the heads of the fish?
Sign up for a free account and share your thoughts, photos, questions about Greek food, travel and culture!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology. Join Worldwide Greeks here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Follow Worldwide Greeks:
Facebook Twitter Instagram
TikTok Pinterest YouTube