1 - 5 of 5 Posts

dpappas87

I am getting ready to make melamakarona (doing a test run before Christmas) and it's been a while ... I have some questions!

** I see some recipes that use all-purpose flour, and some that use semolina. Which is better? Does it matteR?

** A lot of recipes use a combo of nutmeg, cinnamon, and cloves. Can I just use cinnamon or do I really need the other spices?

** Some recipes include honey in the syrup and some only include sugar and water. What's your favorite way to make the syrup?

Thanks!

Semolina is essential in melamakarona. It's usually about 1/3 semolina, and the rest is regular flour. Lots of recipes online if you don't have one. Semolina adds that kind of grainy texture that make these unique.

I think you're fine with cinnamon and a small amount of nutmeg.

I was taught to make syrup with sugar and water only. No honey! Ever! This from the aunt who made the best baklava ever. She said, honey is too sweet. I make syrup with 2 cups sugar and 2 cups water. Bring to a slow-ish boil. It's done when syrup falls slowly off wooden spoon.

Hope this helps.

I am getting ready to make melamakarona (doing a test run before Christmas) and it's been a while ... I have some questions!

** I see some recipes that use all-purpose flour, and some that use semolina. Which is better? Does it matteR?

** A lot of recipes use a combo of nutmeg, cinnamon, and cloves. Can I just use cinnamon or do I really need the other spices?

** Some recipes include honey in the syrup and some only include sugar and water. What's your favorite way to make the syrup?

Thanks!

Semolina is essential in melamakarona. It's usually about 1/3 semolina, and the rest is regular flour. Lots of recipes online if you don't have one. Semolina adds that kind of grainy texture that make these unique.

I think you're fine with cinnamon and a small amount of nutmeg.

I was taught to make syrup with sugar and water only. No honey! Ever! This from the aunt who made the best baklava ever. She said, honey is too sweet. I make syrup with 2 cups sugar and 2 cups water. Bring to a slow-ish boil. It's done when syrup falls slowly off wooden spoon.

Hope this helps.
I didn't know that about Semolina and malamakarona! I usually do use semolina, but the one time I didn't, something felt off. I didn't make the connection that it was the flour.

There are many variations of the melomakarona recipe. Some do use semolina while others don’t. Some use only olive oil while other use have olive half vegetable oil, or honey in the syrup while others use just sugar. It’s I guess a personal preference and what your taste buds have been accustomed to all the years of eating melomakarona.
Semolina is use in some recipes not only to add a bit of texture, but it actually acts as a soaking agent. It helps to soak up more syrup.
Some people don’t like the axed texture and prefer plain flour instead. But either version is still delicious.
The secret to melomakarona is not to o er mix the dough and NOT to over bake the cookie.

What is the best street food in Greece?

What do you consider the best street food in Greece? Are there any specific dishes or local delicacies that you dream of having again? Also, if you have recommendations for particular places or vendors, that would be fantastic!

Here's what I've got on my list so far:
  • Souvlaki
  • Gyros
  • Loukoumades
  • Spanakopita
  • Bougatsa
But I'd like to go beyond the usual and try the real local flavors that might not be as famous internationally. I'm open to suggestions from all over Greece. I have an idea of what I like but want to see what others say.

Best Greek Wine Regions?

I'm on a quest to discover the finest vineyards Greece has to offer. With a winemaking history that spans over four millennia, it has a rich wine tradition even though a lot of people don't know much about it.

I'd love to hear from anyone who has explored Greek wine regions or from connoisseurs who have a particular fondness for Greek varieties. What regions should I place at the top of my list, and are there any specific vineyards or wines that are absolute must-trys?

From the famed Santorini Assyrtiko to the bold reds of Nemea, I'm eager to taste and learn about the exceptional flavors and story behind each bottle. Whether it's a little-known gem or an iconic estate, I'm all ears for your recommendations.

Greek Halva Recipe to Enjoy During Lent?

I love Halva year round but I often see it a lot during Lent. My recipe doesn't seem Lent friendly to me. Any ideas on how I can adapt it?

Ingredients:
  • 1 cup semolina
  • 1 cup granulated sugar
  • 1/2 cup unsalted butter
  • 2 cups water
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1/4 cup chopped almonds or walnuts (optional)
  • 1/4 cup raisins (optional)
Instructions:
  1. In a medium-sized saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat.
  2. Add the semolina to the melted butter and stir continuously for about 5-7 minutes, or until the semolina turns golden brown and begins to emit a nutty aroma.
  3. While stirring the semolina mixture, gradually add the sugar and continue to cook for another 2-3 minutes until the sugar is fully incorporated.
  4. Slowly pour in the water, stirring constantly to avoid lumps from forming. Be careful as the mixture may splatter.
  5. Reduce the heat to low and continue stirring the mixture until it thickens to a porridge-like consistency, about 5-7 minutes.
  6. Stir in the ground cinnamon and optional chopped nuts and raisins, if using.
  7. Remove the saucepan from the heat and let the halva rest for a few minutes to thicken further.
  8. Serve the halva warm or at room temperature, either as a dessert or a sweet breakfast treat.

Getting souvlaki tender?

How do you make tender Greek souvlaki? I've attempted various recipes, marinated for different durations, and experimented with both high and low cooking temps, but I seem to be missing the mark for that mouth-watering tenderness commonly found in authentic Greek souvlaki.

Has anyone found a particular method or ingredient that makes a significant difference in achieving that ideal tenderness?

I use ladolemono, a marinate it overnight in ziplock baggies (after I cut the meat in cubes) and then I add them to the skewers and cook them on the grill. I typically use chicken.

Traditional Greek soups in Greece?

Most of the Greeks I know are from the United States - so it's been a few generations since a lot of them spent extended time in Greece.

From what I understand, Greek cuisine kind of changes. From what I can tell, in the United States, the most popular soup is Egg and Lemon soup (avgolemono) but in Greece, I don't see to as much or rather, hear of it as much.

What are the most popular soups in Greece?
Sign up for a free account and share your thoughts, photos, questions about Greek food, travel and culture!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology.
Join Worldwide Greeks here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Back