1 - 5 of 5 Posts

dpappas87

I am getting ready to make melamakarona (doing a test run before Christmas) and it's been a while ... I have some questions!

** I see some recipes that use all-purpose flour, and some that use semolina. Which is better? Does it matteR?

** A lot of recipes use a combo of nutmeg, cinnamon, and cloves. Can I just use cinnamon or do I really need the other spices?

** Some recipes include honey in the syrup and some only include sugar and water. What's your favorite way to make the syrup?

Thanks!

Luana

Semolina is essential in melamakarona. It's usually about 1/3 semolina, and the rest is regular flour. Lots of recipes online if you don't have one. Semolina adds that kind of grainy texture that make these unique.

I think you're fine with cinnamon and a small amount of nutmeg.

I was taught to make syrup with sugar and water only. No honey! Ever! This from the aunt who made the best baklava ever. She said, honey is too sweet. I make syrup with 2 cups sugar and 2 cups water. Bring to a slow-ish boil. It's done when syrup falls slowly off wooden spoon.

Hope this helps.

Luana

I am getting ready to make melamakarona (doing a test run before Christmas) and it's been a while ... I have some questions!

** I see some recipes that use all-purpose flour, and some that use semolina. Which is better? Does it matteR?

** A lot of recipes use a combo of nutmeg, cinnamon, and cloves. Can I just use cinnamon or do I really need the other spices?

** Some recipes include honey in the syrup and some only include sugar and water. What's your favorite way to make the syrup?

Thanks!

lalajess

Semolina is essential in melamakarona. It's usually about 1/3 semolina, and the rest is regular flour. Lots of recipes online if you don't have one. Semolina adds that kind of grainy texture that make these unique.

I think you're fine with cinnamon and a small amount of nutmeg.

I was taught to make syrup with sugar and water only. No honey! Ever! This from the aunt who made the best baklava ever. She said, honey is too sweet. I make syrup with 2 cups sugar and 2 cups water. Bring to a slow-ish boil. It's done when syrup falls slowly off wooden spoon.

Hope this helps.
I didn't know that about Semolina and malamakarona! I usually do use semolina, but the one time I didn't, something felt off. I didn't make the connection that it was the flour.

PemiKanavos

Administrator
Staff member
There are many variations of the melomakarona recipe. Some do use semolina while others don’t. Some use only olive oil while other use have olive half vegetable oil, or honey in the syrup while others use just sugar. It’s I guess a personal preference and what your taste buds have been accustomed to all the years of eating melomakarona.
Semolina is use in some recipes not only to add a bit of texture, but it actually acts as a soaking agent. It helps to soak up more syrup.
Some people don’t like the axed texture and prefer plain flour instead. But either version is still delicious.
The secret to melomakarona is not to o er mix the dough and NOT to over bake the cookie.

Souvlaki Recipe from Cooking Greek Cookbook

Souvlaki is one of my favorite dishes to make (and eat)! At home, I tend to make it with boneless chicken breast, but when I go out I tend to order pork. I like to marinate the meat for at least a few hours, but I have found that overnight is best. Once it's done marinating, I add pepper and onion chunks to the skewers for extra flavor. Occasionally, I make them without the vegetables, but that is only if I don't have any on hand. The recipe from the Cooking Greek cookbook is almost identical to my method.

Check out the Cooking Greek Cookbook by Worldwide Greeks out on Hardcover, Paperback and eBook here!

pork-souvlaki-recipe.jpg

Does anyone have a good stifado recipe?

I used to make it, but I don't know where my recipe went and I never had it memorized. I plan to make it with beef. I recall we used a bunch of different spices. The main issue is the I can't remember the spice combination. Also, I used to make it in a pressure cooker but I no longer have one. I am assuming it's okay to do it on the stove?

Making Gluten Free Pasta for Greek Recipes

I have some people in my life who need a gluten free diet. When I have them over, I like to accommodate. However, it is easier said than done sometimes. I find that most other people don't even notice if I sneak a gluten free pasta in my Greek food here and there. I know I could always substitute rice for some dishes, but in some cases I really do feel I need to use the pasta.

I have a hard time finding the gluten free pasta that I need, so I was thinking to make it. I make pasta with gluten all the time but my first gluten free attempt was a disaster. It fell apart and I felt I didn't know how to control the dough.

Do you guys have any advice?

Tiropita Recipe from Cooking Greek Cookbook

Making tiropita at home is fun and a lot easier than it may seem - especially when doing it in a 9 x 13 pan. Although I have used different combinations of cheeses, the version I like the best includes imported feta and then a soft cheese like anthotyro if I can find it, cottage cheese if I can't. I live in the United States and there is a Greek store near me that has that cheese, but I find that cottage cheese is just as good. This recipe is light and flaky and makes a great appetizer, snack, light meal (when served with soup or salad) and I've even had it for breakfast!

Check out the Cooking Greek Cookbook by Worldwide Greeks out on Hardcover, Paperback and eBook here!

tiropita-recipe.jpg

Favorite Greek winter desserts or cookies?

I love to bake in the winter and now with Christmas coming up, the urge is even stronger. I do plan to make melamakarona and baklava but I want to try one other thing. Maybe something like a spice cookie? I recently had something that was like a kouoloraki but it had a different texture and used a lot of spices. Does anyone know what that is? It's spiced with clove, cinnamon, maybe something else too.
Sign up for a free account and share your thoughts, photos, questions about Greek food, travel and culture!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology. Join Worldwide Greeks here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Follow Worldwide Greeks:
Facebook Twitter Instagram
TikTok Pinterest YouTube