1 - 6 of 6 Posts

d_kakavouli

Over the years, there have been many texts that talk about ancient city in Crete called Rizinia. The existence of the city was unable to be confirmed from archeological artefacts until the 1900s when Italian archeologists found remnants of the city. Many of the artefacts from the sites are found in the Archaeological Museum of Heraklion where are you can go and visit them today. I definitely recommend checking them out.

Reactions: Laura48

Laura48

I’ve never heard of this, I’ll look out for the artefacts on my next visit.

Reactions: kcixcy

kcixcy

I’ve never heard of this, I’ll look out for the artefacts on my next visit.
The artefacts are not a main part of the museum, which is why many people don't know about it.

Reactions: Laura48

greekgal77

This place is pretty haunting - it's near Heraklion. I have always wanted to do a tour of this place so I could know what I was looking at!

Reactions: cf_fraiser

cf_fraiser

This place is pretty haunting - it's near Heraklion. I have always wanted to do a tour of this place so I could know what I was looking at!
I recommend getting a tour guide! Or at least going with someone who knows a bit about the history. It makes things a little less creepy too ahaha

k_tsoukalas

I have always wanted to visit this place. I found out about it after my last trip to Crete, and I have been to the island 6 or 7 times! There's so much to see on Crete alone, it's amazing.

Where can I see live traditional Cretan dancing?

I would love to get a taste of the Cretan culture and see some traditional dancing next time that I'm in Crete. Does anyone have recommendations about where would be a good place to see live dancing? I've seen some tourist oriented places in Athens for dancing online that I am planning to visit as well. Thanks in advance! :)

Cretan agriculture is top notch!

Crete has developed some of the most innovative agricultural technology to support their booming business and exports. The majority of Crete's exports are agricultural, and namely olive oil. Many of Crete's natural resources such as water are cultivated to support the industry, almost 80% of Crete's water is used for agriculture. These farmers are just one example of what the island is doing to sustain themselves.

Maleviziotikos is a beautiful and energetic Cretan dance!

I have never seen this beautiful Cretan dance live but I'm sure this video does it justice! As you can see, the dance is very energetic and seems to be very celebratory.I can imagine that it takes a lot of cardio and stamina to preform for a long period of time. I would love to know more information about when this dance is used, and what it signifies in the Cretan. I am not Cretan myself, so I am not too sure.

The beautiful traditional costumes of Crete

Crete has some of the most beautiful culture and costumes! This video outlines all of the pieces of the traditional costumes and what each part is used for. As you can see, many parts of Cretan culture are based in military lifestyle. Cretans are known as warriors and played a major role in defending Greece from both the Ottoman Empire as well as Nazi regime.

Visit the windmills in Lasithi Crete

These windmills are one of the most unique attractions on the island. They were a great source of sustainable energy, and provided irrigation to water plants in the summer months. There aren't many windmills left, and they currently stand as more of a tourist attraction than an energy source. If you would like to visit, they are located on the north end of the Lasithi plateau.

1656470340077.png
Share and discuss your Crete photos, questions and experiences!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology. Join WorldwideGreeks.com here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Follow WorldwideGreeks.com:
Facebook Instagram Twitter