1 - 6 of 6 Posts

d_kakavouli

Over the years, there have been many texts that talk about ancient city in Crete called Rizinia. The existence of the city was unable to be confirmed from archeological artefacts until the 1900s when Italian archeologists found remnants of the city. Many of the artefacts from the sites are found in the Archaeological Museum of Heraklion where are you can go and visit them today. I definitely recommend checking them out.

Reactions: Laura48

Laura48

I’ve never heard of this, I’ll look out for the artefacts on my next visit.

Reactions: kcixcy

kcixcy

I’ve never heard of this, I’ll look out for the artefacts on my next visit.
The artefacts are not a main part of the museum, which is why many people don't know about it.

Reactions: Laura48

greekgal77

This place is pretty haunting - it's near Heraklion. I have always wanted to do a tour of this place so I could know what I was looking at!

Reactions: cf_fraiser

cf_fraiser

This place is pretty haunting - it's near Heraklion. I have always wanted to do a tour of this place so I could know what I was looking at!
I recommend getting a tour guide! Or at least going with someone who knows a bit about the history. It makes things a little less creepy too ahaha

k_tsoukalas

I have always wanted to visit this place. I found out about it after my last trip to Crete, and I have been to the island 6 or 7 times! There's so much to see on Crete alone, it's amazing.

Visit the windmills in Lasithi Crete

These windmills are one of the most unique attractions on the island. They were a great source of sustainable energy, and provided irrigation to water plants in the summer months. There aren't many windmills left, and they currently stand as more of a tourist attraction than an energy source. If you would like to visit, they are located on the north end of the Lasithi plateau.

1656470340077.png

Check out this amazing Cretan tune

Cretan music is truly one of the best! These songs are some of the most popular Cretan songs throughout time and are preformed here as covers by Konstantinos and Ilias Drougas. As you can see in the video, the group is dancing along using Cretan dances, which are pretty popular throughout Greece since the culture is so renowned. Let me know if you like it! I will be going to a wedding in Crete this summer and I am prepping :)

Potamos beach in Malia harbor Crete is a quiet escape

Potamos beach is a very small beach in Malia Harbor. The beach is great because there aren't many organize beach clubs, meaning that you're able to just come to the beach with your own towels and umbrellas and stay for free. There are usually people walking around selling things, and you can always walk by it's the nearest store to pick up some cold bottle drinks. I highly recommend speech if you're looking for something more low-key and quiet.

Elafonisi is hands down the best beach in Crete

Elafonisi is definitely one of the most beautiful and clear beaches on the island, and its a must visit for when anyone goes. The beach is located near Chania, which is at the most western point of the island. Here is a glimpse of what the beauty looks like.

Where is the best place to have a secluded and romantic wedding in Crete?

My cousin is looking for some romantic and secluded wedding locations in Crete. I am wondering if any of you have been to weddings and cream, or gotten married there yourselves. The wedding won’t be religious, so it doesn’t need to be in any specific place like a church. I am open to any suggestions! Thanks everyone!
Share and discuss your Crete photos, questions and experiences!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology. Join WorldwideGreeks.com here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Follow WorldwideGreeks.com:
Facebook Instagram Twitter