1 - 2 of 2 Posts

blopez34

Spinalonga was an island off the coast of Crete that was designated to house and care for people with leprosy. The people were kept in pretty horrible conditions and were forced to leave society and be ex communicated from their families and communities. This documentary uncovers what was going on. I cannot find an English version, but for those who understand Greek, its worth a watch.

Reactions: Vangelis

k_tsoukalas

The story of this island is so sad. The island is now a refuge for wildlife and a certain kind of bird lives there. Thanks for sharing the video!

Well,at last hope commences!

Learn about the history of Cyprus 🇨🇾

As with all Greek territories, Cyprus has undergone many changes of power throughout history, starting from the ancient times. The first change of power came with the Phoenicians followed by the Persian empire. After approximately 200 years of Persian occupation, Alexander the Great took control of Cyprus. Cyprus was then a part of the Byzantine empire, as was all of Greece, until it was occupied by the British Empire, and then the Ottoman Empire (as with all of Greece as well). After Greece and Cyprus became independent from Ottoman rule, Cyprus was then again conquered by the British until it became independent in 1960. As you can see, the history is a long list of changes in power, leaving Cyprus with thousands of years of occupation and control. This is an unfortunate truth, but something that is important that we should be aware of.

This is what the traditional costumes of Greek soldiers look like

Traditional Greek soldiers are called "evzones" and were the soldiers who fought against the Ottoman occupation of Greece. Nowadays, Greek soldiers dress in modern military clothing with camouflage. Greek soldiers will dress in the evzone costume for special occasions and for guarding the tomb of the unknown soldier in Athens. This is what the traditional costume looks like

History-of-the-Traditional-Evzone-Uniform.jpg

Were Antiochus I of Commagene and Antiochus I Soter related?

I am super confused between these two as I have read that Antiochus I of Commagene was the one who had built Mount Nemrut(Turkey) but when I read the history and properties of the king who had built the Mount Nemrut, it is more likely "Antiochus I Soter" or his son "Antiochus II Theo" because they both had "God complex" , they were called King of the Universe and Theo(God) respectively.

Moreover, Antiochus I of Commagene and Antiochus I Soter don't seem to be related if I track their family line and they seem to rule slightly different areas but the heritage and family attributes that local Turkish guides provide about the king that is associated with Mount Nemrut is more similar to the Antiochus I Soter or his Son Antiochus II Theo. But is their any chance that Antiochus I of Commagene is related to the aforementioned Kings, like could they be his ancestors or something?

I have found not much information online as the Turkish websites either attribute the king as simply Antiochus I or Antiochus I of Commagene Theo which is absolutely wrong because no King having name Antiochus I had title Theo in the history.

If anyone could provide the clarity with a little background, I would be really grateful.

The history of the Greek Orthodox Church

The history of the Greek Orthodox Church is so great and vast, it is even said that it was established while Jesus and his Apostles were alive. It was in 1054 when the Orthodox church split from the Catholic Church, this was when the Greek Orthodox Church became what we now know it as today. Though it is often contested by many, Greek Orthodox Christians believe that the Orthodox Church was the church established by Jesus Christ himself.
Share and discuss Greek history!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology. Join WorldwideGreeks.com here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Follow WorldwideGreeks.com:
Facebook Instagram Twitter