1 - 10 of 10 Posts

knicks_fan87

Hey, does anyone have any advice about what to do in Santorini? My wife is more of a beach type of girl, but I really like hitting the town and getting to know the locals (and seeing the architecture like in this pic). What do you all recommend for Santorini?

santorini1.png

Hitting the local areas is best especially in the Summer when its really busy!

My favorite beach is Kamara Beach:

kamara-beach1-720x540.jpg

I think you could definitely do both - go to the beach by day - hit the town at night. Depending on how long you stay, you could also take some time to see the sites and maybe visit some of the beaches at night. The beaches are unique on Santorini because of the volcanic activity. I agree with Nick that Kamara Beach is one of the best on the island. There are also beach bars scattered throughout the island so you can get some nightlife AND see the beach at the same time. Chilli's has beach loungers and you can lounge with a cocktail sitting by the water during the day - best of both worlds!

As I'm sure you know Santorini is known for its beautiful mountainside and architecture. The beaches are really great, especially the pink and white beaches. It's really unlike anything I've seen before…but there are excellent beaches everywhere in the world, especially in Greece. So it really depends on where else you're going for your trip, if you're hitting another beach destination, I would say skip the beaches in Santorini and enjoy the beautiful views and sunsets.

Reactions: dubai_suzie
I went to Santorini years ago with my ex boyfriend, and I love the beaches!! The pink sand was so unique and luxurious and I would love to go again. Maybe try and hit the beaches and the town! Especially because both of you need to be happy and enjoy your trip!

Personally I don't go to Santorini for the beaches, although it's cool to see the pink and black beaches at least once. There are far better islands for beach lovers. Santorini has so much to explore from the vineyards to ruins to the efestio (lava). I'd spend your days exploring, eating and drinking in Santorini then take a ferry to Mykonos, Paros or Naxos for some amazing beach time!

My favorite memories of Santorini was walking around in the town. The streets are so small and island like, and there are some really great authentic stores to go shopping and get a taste of Greek fashion and handywork. Avoid the more touristy areas, like the streets with the Gucci and Louis Vuitton stores. That's not what Greece is really about.

Reactions: kosta_karapinotis
I totally agree, you definitely need a mix of both. And you would really be missing out on a huge part of Santorini, if you didn't visit the volcano.

Nea-Kameni-Santorini-720x479.jpg

Honestly in my opinion Santorini is not the best place for beaches, if you really want some great beaches, I would head to Zakynthos and service or Skopelos.

If you are visiting any other greek islands and you have limited time in Santorini i would skip the beaches and hit the town(oia.fira.pyrgos). Santorini being a volcanic island is not famous for the beaches but the caldera views will blow your mind.

Reactions: kosta_karapinotis

Do the crowds feel better if actually staying in Santorini?

The last time I was in Santorini, it was off a cruise ship. There were other cruise ships that had ported that day, so the place was a zoo. I didn't even really like it!

Does Santorini feel different if you're actually staying there at least for a few nights, or is it always that crowded?

There was a long line to the cable car, a crushing crowd at sunsets, and in some shops, I couldn't even really walk through - there were too many people! Everyone was nice though, despite that.

Looking for Museums and Galleries to Visit on Santorini

I'm planning a trip to the enchanting island of Santorini, Greece, and am keen on immersing myself in the local art scene and history. Santorini is renowned not only for its breathtaking sunsets and stunning landscapes but also for its rich cultural tapestry. I aim to soak up as much of this cultural richness as possible during my visit.

In preparation for this adventure, I'm reaching out to this knowledgeable community for recommendations on must-visit museums and art galleries on the island. I'm interested in both well-known spots and hidden gems that capture the essence of Santorini's history, art, and culture.

Additionally, if anyone has insights on the best times to visit these spots to avoid crowds or to participate in any special events or exhibits, that would be wonderfully helpful.

Thank you in advance for sharing your experiences and recommendations. I look forward to exploring Santorini’s cultural treasures and creating unforgettable memories on this trip!

Off the beaten track suggestions for Santorini?

I've been completely mesmerized by the postcard photos of Santorini, but beyond the blue domes and the sunsets of Oia, I'm looking to uncover some of the island's best-kept secrets. What do you suggest?

Have you stumbled upon any villages, beaches, or local haunts here that you loved? Or maybe historical sites too? I am just looking to do something different that what is typical.

Views like this wouldn't hurt!

santorini-greece.jpg

Oia Santorini Sunset Cruise

I found this video of a sunset cruise in Oia on Santorini and I am intrigued! I'll share the video, and I am curious if any of you have tried this. I had a terrible experience fighting for a standing spot last time I was in Oia.

Staying in Pyrgos?

Thank you to your advice, I am looking into staying in Pyrgos or other inland place that is slightly "off the beaten track" in Santorini to minimize some of the frustration of being in the crowds. We will be traveling during peak season.

Does anyone have an advice as to where to stay? As mentioned in a previous post, my wife is pushing for a Caldera hotel - but they're so expensive and we're traveling with the whole family. If I can find a compelling hotel that is more inland, it might work out for us to stay there. It doesn't have to be Pyrgos - but something similar would be good...

pyrgos-santorini.jpg
Share and discuss Santorini photos, questions and experiences!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology.
Join WorldwideGreeks.com here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Back