1 - 3 of 3 Posts

mj_toronto8

I had the most delicious salad while I was on Santorini the last time I went and it is now a staple in our house... Here are the ingredients:

Tomatoes (I use cherry tomatoes but they don't even compare to the Santorini ones)
Cucumbers (I use English cucumbers, but I know Santorini has a special cucumber that is so yummy!)
Capers or olives
Topped with.. Kefalotiri cheese if I can find it, Romano if I can't
Croutons or Rusks (I get rusks from the Greek store, but use croutons if I can't get there)
I make a simple vinaigrette with red wine vinegar and Greek olive oil.

I found it interesting that I didn't always see olives in my salads while on the island. Just wanted to share!

k_tsoukalas

This looks delicious! I am going to try it... thank you for sharing it!

Reactions: mj_toronto8

mj_toronto8

You're welcome! I have learned that village salad doesn't always have the same ingredients, depending on the time of year and where in Greece I am.

Greek-Style Fish "Dressing"

I don't know what else to call this ... I bumped into a recipe for ladolemono that had olive oil, lemon, oregano, garlic, and some onion. I decided to make a ladolemono similar to this, but adjust the seasonings for fish.

I plan to make salmon this week! So instead of oregano I will be using freshly chopped dill, and I think garlic would be too strong from salmon so am going to use a small shallow and no onion either. What do you guys think? I think it sounds like it will be delicious, and I can maybe even use this for other seafood if it goes well.

Preserving Fresh Herbs from the Store?

It's cold out and I don't have garden herbs. I have some herbs growing indoors but not everything I need. So, I have been buying them at the store.

They don't last long at all! They're good maybe for 2-3 days but then I have to toss them. Any advice on how to keep them fresh or maybe even preserve them so I get the fresh taste still without relying on the fridge? People have told me to try freezing them and that didn't work - they got a freezer taste and got all mushy in the freezer (it was gross!).

Meat for Stifado?

I am getting ready to make stifado. I found these great fresh, small onions at the store and I knew that is what I had to do with them!

I am trying to figure out which meat to use. Could I use anything? Beef is expensive, I never really liked lamb in it... I was thinking maybe pork? Or should I just suck it up and use beef?

I have had it in Greece with rabbit but can't really find rabbit to eat here in the US.

Favorite Vegan Greek Foods for Lent?

Lent is around the corner and this year, I thought I would go all in and stick with Vegan foods during lent. I thought I would gather ideas from you guys, and I will share a few of my own.

- My family used to make a yellow split pea soup that was very simple. I will track down how to make it and get the recipe from someone.
- Foods like lentils, hummus, fava beans are great - any recommendations? I could always make lentil soup, beans in tomato sauce...
- Vegetables in tomato sauce - have seen lent versions with no oil, potatoes, legumes, veggies... any ideas? Looks like I can use nearly anything.

Thanks for chiming in!

What do you use for grill seasoning?

I usually just use ladolemono, but I am looking for different ideas. This is to grill pretty much anything. I either do salt and pepper or ladolemono - looking for new ideas.

I have a friend who makes a rub with Greek spices, but didn't tell me what she puts in it. I've had it, it tastes like there's oregano, a little garlic, and something with heat. Like maybe ground red pepper?
Sign up for a free account and share your thoughts, photos, questions about Greek food, travel and culture!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology. Join Worldwide Greeks here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Follow Worldwide Greeks:
Facebook Twitter Instagram
TikTok Pinterest YouTube