1 - 6 of 6 Posts
I'm Greek-Australian, and I've never considered getting a Greek passport until COVID made it easier to travel to Greece with proof of citizenship/passport. Do any other children of Greek immigrants have passports? Have you found it to be worth it?

Worldwide Greeks Editor

Administrator
Staff member
I am not sure if having a Greek passport helps with COVID travel restrictions in Greece.

I would recommend reaching out to your local (in Australia) Greek consulate and asking this type of question.

Hope this helps and good luck figuring it all out! :)

Reactions: dpappas87

dpappas87

I found it pretty useful because I'm able to travel around Europe very easily. If you don't think you'll be travelling to Europe, I wouldn't really recommend it. The Australian passport is pretty useful and can get you most places without a tourist visa. If that ever changes, I would look into it then.

k_tsoukalas

Greek tourism will be open this year starting sometime in May for those who have received the COVID vaccine or to those who have taken a current COVID test. I would check the rules. I am not sure a passport would make a difference because the rules might be the same for everyone, regardless of which passport you have.

TrelosYiaEllada

I've thought about getting a Greek passport. However, after weighing the pros and cons, I decided it wasn't worth it. The main Con is that you'll need to deal w/ the Greek government and that is a nightmare. If you've never had that pleasure, try something simple while in Greece. Go to the local police station and ask about getting an extension on your Schengen visa. They will direct you to another office, which will then direct you to another office, and so on. This can go on for several days until you find someone who actually takes the time to help. Otherwise, everyone you meet will scream at you as if you've committed a crime and tell you to go back to the office you just came from. Nobody knows the answer, but they all act like they do ... and it's always coffee break time, so "please come back later!" This is a country where they pay public employees a bonus just for showing up on time. The main reason I decided not to get a Greek passport is b/c I'm not really Greek. I didn't grow up there. So, I don't know the laws. I don't want to be stopped at the airport b/c there's suddenly a new banana-republic tax I didn't know about, or they decided to restrict access to ATMs, etc.

Instead of a Greek passport, you may want to look into a Financially Independent Persons residency program visa if you were planning to live there. This page describes the requirements - https://greekresidency.com/golden-visa/fip-residency-for-financially-independent/.

kosta_karapinotis

I've thought about getting a Greek passport. However, after weighing the pros and cons, I decided it wasn't worth it. The main Con is that you'll need to deal w/ the Greek government and that is a nightmare. If you've never had that pleasure, try something simple while in Greece. Go to the local police station and ask about getting an extension on your Schengen visa. They will direct you to another office, which will then direct you to another office, and so on. This can go on for several days until you find someone who actually takes the time to help. Otherwise, everyone you meet will scream at you as if you've committed a crime and tell you to go back to the office you just came from. Nobody knows the answer, but they all act like they do ... and it's always coffee break time, so "please come back later!" This is a country where they pay public employees a bonus just for showing up on time. The main reason I decided not to get a Greek passport is b/c I'm not really Greek. I didn't grow up there. So, I don't know the laws. I don't want to be stopped at the airport b/c there's suddenly a new banana-republic tax I didn't know about, or they decided to restrict access to ATMs, etc.

Instead of a Greek passport, you may want to look into a Financially Independent Persons residency program visa if you were planning to live there. This page describes the requirements - https://greekresidency.com/golden-visa/fip-residency-for-financially-independent/.
You have a good point. It is difficult if you're not from there or aren't in the loop about the new laws and updates

Dont worry, you can always have breakfast on the ferry

I’ve taken countless ferries across the Greek islands, and I always seem to be rushing to get on the boat in time. One thing that I love about Greek ferries, is that there’s always a café on board where you can buy snacks, pastries, and coffee. It’s a little bit pricey, so keep that in mind. You can also get coffee from the ferry port! Safe travels 😊

How to rent motorcycles and atvs in Greece

Of course, the process is going to be different depending on where you are in Greece, but for the most part the rules are the same. You will need an unexpired drivers license to rent an ATV. Some websites will say that you need an international drivers license, but I've never been asked for one. If you want to rent a motorcycle, you will need a motorcycle license. You might be able to get by if you let the people know that your experience, but I highly recommend that you bring yours. It's as simple as that!

The amazing Sarakiniko beach in Milos

Sarakiniko beach is probably one of the most stunning ones that I’ve ever been to. I went two summers ago, and from what I’ve heard Milos is becoming more and more popular by the month. I absolutely love this island, especially this beach. It’s a great spot to view the sunset and take photos. I definitely recommend it!

C1740A01-A232-4532-A673-70C8B5DBBDD3.jpeg

Flights to the islands have become cheaper than taking ferries!

I never thought this would happen….but from the prices I’ve been searching for this summer it seems to make more sense to fly to these islands instead of taking the ferry. Nor only that, flying is much faster and they offer free snacks on board. When you book your transit please don’t jump to the ferry booking sites and check google flights or sky scanner first! You never know what you can find. Best of luck fellow travelers. 😊

Marathonisi Islet is a wonderful place to visit in Zakynthos

I never see people talking about Marathonisi Islet and I don't know why! The islet is right across from Laganas Beach and is not inhabited by any locals. Its simply a beautiful piece of untouched nature that is great for a day trip.
Sign up for a free account and share your thoughts, photos, questions about Greek food, travel and culture!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology. Join WorldwideGreeks.com here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Follow WorldwideGreeks.com:
Facebook Instagram Twitter