1 - 5 of 5 Posts

xmelissaa

I don’t love to carry cash around when i’m traveling because i’m scared of being pickpocketed, but I know in certain countries many stores and restaurants don’t have credit card machines or they prefer cash. What is everyone's experience? And what would you recommend?

vaggelis

Have a Little bit of cash with you,but Credit card you can use mostly everywere in Greece

Reactions: xmelissaa

Worldwide Greeks Editor

Administrator
Staff member
I am kind of old school, LOL.

I bring cash for eating out and shopping (better discounts for cash!) and use the credit card for car rental, gas and shopping at supermarket (got to try to save money too!).image1-6-e1566512244373-720x960.jpeg

Joni T.

I don’t love to carry cash around when i’m traveling because i’m scared of being pickpocketed, but I know in certain countries many stores and restaurants don’t have credit card machines or they prefer cash. What is everyone's experience? And what would you recommend?
Last time we went to Greece (2015), the banks were in turmoil, so we knew ATM machines weren't going to be an option. We brought more Euros than we needed. We bought the body wallet to put under our clothing. While in Greece, however, we paid with credit card any time we could. The hotels took credit card, and a lot of restaurants and stores did. Some accept cash only, so we were prepared.

mortonlykins

Hello! As far as I know, you can pay with PayPal and a credit card today when you visit Greece, and you will have cashback. I remember times when processing credit cards in other cities was hard. Thankfully today's banking system improved, and now we can pay with our credit cards in other countries without problems. Also, I suggest you look at this site if you are planning to visit multiple countries, youngandthrifty.ca. On-site, I mentioned you could find various offers and tips that may shorten your traveling expenses with less payment processing percents.

Last edited:

Islands for a Day Trip in Athens Area

I am now starting to think that Athens area is a good location for a getaway for me and my girlfriends. It seems like the Athens are has everything that we need, plus it's easy to get around without renting a car.

We are interested in going on a boat for a day trip and visiting an island - maybe using that to visit a beach that is a bit further away. Does anyone have recommendations? I have heard Hydra is easy to get to from Piraeus for the day.

Athens car rental question

If I rent a car in Athens, do you think that I would be able to put it on a ferry to go to another island, like Crete?

My next trip to Greece is going to include visiting a bunch of people in Athens, not all of whom are in convenient locations to the metro, and then head to Crete. I like to have a car on Crete because I want to explore. I don't want to have to rent a car in two different places. Any suggestions?

Where in Mykonos is this?

I bumped into a pretty pic of Mykonos - I am still trying to plan that trip with my friends! We are still considering Mykonos, even though some people are iffy. I found this pic - it's so pretty. Does anyone have an idea where this is, and what the vantage point is? One friend is saying she would love to try to replicate the scene from this photo if we do make it to that island...

mykonos-view.jpg

Archaeological Sites to Visit in Greece?

I am making a list of Archaeological museums to visit in Greece so that I can start visiting some of them. In my research, it occurred to me that many of the good ones are associated with archaeological sites. I realized I should visit those, as well. Here is a list of some top places I know I should visit. Please let me know if I missed anything:

- Delphi - is there a museum here?
- Olympia (for the site of the Olympic Games)
- Knossos Palace - and from what I understand the Heraklion Archaeological Museum houses a lot of the artifacts.
- Acropolis/ Parthenon - I have been here before, but the museum that is on site wasn't there at the time - and I figure I may as well visit again.
- Marathon - is there anything here? I know there's a lot of history
- Delos - I have seen pictures - it looks fascinating

I feel like I am missing a lot, but maybe this is a good start at least.
Sign up for a free account and share your thoughts, photos, questions about Greek food, travel and culture!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology. Join Worldwide Greeks here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Follow Worldwide Greeks:
Facebook Twitter Instagram
TikTok Pinterest YouTube