1 - 4 of 4 Posts

nadellii

This dish might technically not be Greek, but it is loved by Greeks around the country and served at almost every Greek restaurant. The pasta is cooked in a seafood broth and the sauce is a mixture of tomato sauce and cream. The dishes topped with lovely Parmesan cheese!! ūüėä One of my favorites.

F03E2C6E-1C85-47A8-92BE-030DBF4D6C04.jpeg

Reactions: toniiv

toniiv

I agree, this is delicious. Though it's not traditionally Greek, it has all the traditional flavors. Versions in other countries, like Italy, do taste a little different. So in Greece, the dish took on a new life! Looks so good!

k_tsoukalas

This dish looks delicious. I think it might have Italian roots?

toniiv

This dish looks delicious. I think it might have Italian roots?
I am not sure, but it is fairly unique - I haven't seen it before in other places in Greece, but I love it!

Making My Own Phyllo?

I have been having trouble with frozen phyllo - it sticks when I take it out of the package. I will try to switch to a different brand, but I am wondering if I should actually give making my wn phyllo a try? Do you guys have any tips for me?

I found this recipe - does it look good to you guys? I have never done this before:

How Do You Make Your Greek Village Salad?

I got turned onto this salad recently and I realize that it's such a nice change of pace from the salads I usually make. I love how it doesn't use lettuce because I don't always seem to have it on hand.

Here is the combination I like for mine. How do you guys like making it?

- tomatoes
- cucumber
- green bell peppers
- red onion or scallion
- kalamata olives
- feta cheese
- plenty of olive oil
- oregano

I like it a bit room temperature so after I make it, I set it on the counter for maybe 45 minutes before I dive in. It also gives the flavors a chance to meld together. I would like to try making other combinations!

Do you have tips for working with phyllo?

I have been experimenting with Greek cooking for a few years now and I didn't have the guts to start trying to work with phyllo until recently - I tried to make baklava. I had all kinds of problems and I am hoping you guys have some tips to help me get the hang of it better. Here's a list of the issues I had:

1. Sheets were stuck together in the package
2. The phyllo started to dry out as I assembled the recipe
3. My pan was shorter than each sheet and I didn't know what to do with the exces

I don't know, am I doing something wrong?

Interesting Greek Dishes to Cook

I found this list of Greek dishes to cook. Some of them I have cooked, some I have not. Either way, I was thinking of trying them out, even the ones that I have cooked before - every chef has their own way of doing things and I thought this might be a nice project for this fall. Do you guys have any suggestions?

Compiling a List of Fasting Recipes and Foods

So, I am slowly figuring out what my fasting style is going to be. I am going to start by fasting on Fridays. I am putting together a list of foods I can have during fasting days. I decided to do completely vegan this one day a week. Here is my list of foods:

- Lentils and rice
- Lentil soup
- Anything with chickpeas
- Salads dressed with lemon juice or vinegar (if it is a no oil day)
- Breads - I am going to shoot for multigrain on fasting days
- Lots of vegetables in general
- Occasionally eat fruit

What do you guys do?
Sign up for a free account and share your thoughts, photos, questions about Greek food, travel and culture!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology. Join WorldwideGreeks.com here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Follow WorldwideGreeks.com:
Facebook Instagram Twitter