1 - 4 of 4 Posts

mastichas09

Christmas carolling is a very popular tradition in Greece where are young kids go from door-to-door with their parents singing Christmas carols to neighbors, family, and friends. Sometimes, people will give the kids money or small gifts, or just enjoy their beautiful voices. This tradition seems to be dying down, but it is still in existence as it has been happening in Greece for many many generations. Also I assume it's not as popular during Covid. But nonetheless, people gather in their homes amongst themselves and sing to continue caring the Christmas cheer, even during these hard times.

Worldwide Greeks Editor

Administrator
Staff member
Christmas carolling is a very popular tradition in Greece where are young kids go from door-to-door with their parents singing Christmas carols to neighbors, family, and friends. Sometimes, people will give the kids money or small gifts, or just enjoy their beautiful voices. This tradition seems to be dying down, but it is still in existence as it has been happening in Greece for many many generations. Also I assume it's not as popular during Covid. But nonetheless, people gather in their homes amongst themselves and sing to continue caring the Christmas cheer, even during these hard times.

Thanks for sharing! Here is a bit more information about the Kalanda (Greek Christmas Carols):

Reactions: Jawge and blopez34

blopez34

This is my favorite Greek carol!

Reactions: The Greek Vibe

k_tsoukalas

Singing carols seems to be a favorite Greek activity. Every Greek Christmas party I've gone to, there has been time set aside for us all to sing these songs. I love it, it makes me feel close to Greece and to the Christmas traditions in the country of my ancestors.

Reactions: The Greek Vibe

Where to shop for wedding dresses in Greece from local Greek designers!

As many of you may know, Greek weddings are a huge part of the culture in a really important way for both families to celebrate the union of love under God. Greece is also one of the best places to go clothes shopping! Especially for big items like wedding dresses because they aren't shipped from elsewhere (if you're getting them from a Greek designer that is). The quality is also super high and usually worth the price. My cousin goes to fashion school and she highly recommends Greek and Italian fashion designers! Here are a few that I have been looking at online.

What are your favorite Greek news websites?

I’ve been wanting to stay caught up with a Greek and use for sometime now, but I don’t have really good access to Greek TV through cable or through my smart TV. I usually like to watch on YouTube or on the websites directly. Can anyone recommend me a Greek news channels that posts on the internet that have really good journalism? I like to have a new perspective and keep up with what’s going on in Greece in Europe. Thanks so much everyone! Happy new year!

A Greek New Years Eve Celebration!

This is what a beautiful New Years Eve celebration looks like in Greece! This show always Play some of the best Greek holiday music ever! I always have it in the background when I'm cooking and preparing for my New Year's and Christmas celebrations. I hope you enjoy it 😊

Have you ever wondered what the evaluation of languages looked like?

This image is amazing....I always knew that languages came from each other but I never had it visualized. Kudos to the amazing designer who made this image! As we all know, the Greek language provided the basis for many alphabets and languages around the world. Nonetheless, Greece is unlike any language that exists today and it not based on any other languages like Romance Languages for example (Spanish, Italian, etc.). If anyone has other language resources, please feel free to share with me :)

Greece has just raised the minimum wage

For the second time this year, Greece raised the minimum wage. Many don't even know that there is minimum wage in Greece, but there is! it is a little bit easier to bypass it because there is more corruption and less regulation in Greece than in other countries but nonetheless it's really great that the country is taking steps to raise it, in my opinion. The minimum wage is now €663 per month, which is still relatively low and difficult to live on, especially if you're in more expensive areas such as Athens.
Share and discuss Greek traditions related to Greek weddings, christenings, dance & holidays!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology. Join WorldwideGreeks.com here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Follow WorldwideGreeks.com:
Facebook Instagram Twitter