1 - 2 of 2 Posts

mastichas09

The rooftop pool at the hotel I was staying at is closed today because of the smoke. Everyone please be careful, there could be toxins in the air. I took this picture yesterday and you can see a bit of haze in the back, but I think it was worse today

Screen Shot 2021-08-06 at 1.37.42 AM.png

k_tsoukalas

Athens has seemed to collect smoke in the past because it is surrounded by mountains. Hopefully the smoke has cleared! I understand the fires have been put out?

Stay on Ermou next time you visit Athens

Last week I had the pleasure of visiting Athens and getting an Airbnb on Ermou Street. I was a bit hesitant at first because I was worried about the loud nightlife at night, but it was probably one of the best decisions I could ever make. It was in a great location and very close to Monastiraki, Plaka, and the Acropolis of course. I really recommend it. Hermou is super safe and there is always great restaurants nearby for breakfast!

Visit the Cypriot Museum of Art in Athens

Cypriot art is a strong and important part of Greek culture, that unfortunately many people forget about. Whether or not that you believe Cyprus should or shouldn't be a part of Greece, the beauty of Cypriot culture and art is undeniable. You can see a lot of Cypriot Art at the museum in Athens which showcases about 1,000 paintings and sculptures from Ancient Greece to modern day.

Check out this political tour of Athens

I stumbled upon this great social and political tour of Athens. Many people don't know the side of Greece, and it's extremely relevant. If you're interested in social issues or politics, I really recommend it. I didn't get the opportunity to actually do it myself, but there are really good reviews on Airbnb. The tour also gives you a taste of the different neighbourhoods in Athens, especially those that are relative to political movement such as Exarcheia.

Where to go in Athens for some of the best nightlife!

Athens has some great nightlife!! There are so many options to choose from, and it really depends on what you're looking for. My personal favourites are rooftop bars that overlook the Parthenon, you can find most of these in Thissio. But many local Athenians would say that these spots are very touristy and not as fun Exarchia and Gazi for example. If you're interested in going to bars that are by the beach, but still pretty close to the city I recommend Gylfada. Psiri it's also a very trendy neighbourhood that is popular amongst the locals! Try them out and let me know what you think!
Share and discuss your Athens photos, questions and experiences!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology. Join WorldwideGreeks.com here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Follow WorldwideGreeks.com:
Facebook Instagram Twitter