1 - 2 of 2 Posts

greek_ggirl

k_tsoukalas

It is traditional to give something silver for a baptism. These are some great ideas!

Should I still get a gift if I cant make it to the wedding?

I was invited to a Greek wedding this summer, but unfortunately I am unable to go because my work schedule is just a bit too hectic. The couple has a registry, which makes me wonder if I should still get a gift even if I'm not able to go to the wedding. Does anyone know what the expectation or custom is for a Greek weddings? The couple is from the United States, but they are both Greek American and having their wedding in Greece. I am super bummed out that I am missed, and I would say that I'm relatively close to the groom, we worked together previously.

Major differences between Greek and American weddings

Obviously, the main difference is that Greek weddings are usually held in a Greek orthodox church. But besides many of the religious and cultural factors, there are a few main differences that will probably stick out to any American people. The first is that Greek people do not have groomsmen or bridesmaids. The second, is that the wedding is not only about the couple, but the families as well. In Greek culture, the bride and grooms family are very involved in the wedding and it is considered a joining of their two families as well. Lastly, one of the major differences that I have noticed is that because the ceremony is a religious ceremony, it is not as personalized as American weddings where the couple exchanges vows.

"Remember When" is a great Greek family tv show!

I just discovered this very cute and family oriented Greek tv sitcom called "Remember When" or "Ta Kalitera Mas Xronia" (our best years). The show follows a family from the perspective of a young boy and shows the trials and tribulations of a Greek family in the late 60's. The show touches on many important issues such as religion, finances and relationships. It's a great insight into what was going on in Greece at the time. You can watch the show for free here: https://www.ertflix.gr/en/series/ser.127653-ta-kalytera-mas-chronia

These are the most common words in Greek

This list is extremely helpful for anyone visiting Greece. Learning a bit of Greek can be a little intimidating, especially since some of the sounds don't exist in other languages. I suggest that you at least learn a few words to get by, since it is also a kind gesture when visiting a foreign country. Let me know if you like this video! And if you think these words are easy to learn!

Here is an overview of the beliefs of the Greek Orthodox Church

Of course, there are many variations as to what every individual Greek Orthodox person believes. Either way, there are a few official beliefs of the Greek Orthodox Church, many of which stand out from different Christian sects. The main belief of the Greek Orthodox Church is the holy trinity, which includes the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit. This video does a pretty good job of explaining everything, I hope you enjoy it. Please let me know if you have any questions about Greek Orthodoxy, I would love to answer them.\

Share and discuss Greek traditions related to Greek weddings, christenings, dance & holidays!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology. Join WorldwideGreeks.com here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Follow WorldwideGreeks.com:
Facebook Instagram Twitter