1 - 2 of 2 Posts

acamp7

This dish is fantastic! I saw it on the menu for the first time and had to try it. It’s super simple, just eggs and tomato scrambled with feta cheese on top. The name of the dish sounds italian but I’m not sure if it’s origins. I love it and will definitely be making it at home.
4FEDEE90-22E0-445B-A510-963C043E3C86.jpeg

k_tsoukalas

I've had this! It's so good. I can't seem to get it to taste right when I am at home, though. Is it called Strapatsada?

Interesting Greek Dishes to Cook

I found this list of Greek dishes to cook. Some of them I have cooked, some I have not. Either way, I was thinking of trying them out, even the ones that I have cooked before - every chef has their own way of doing things and I thought this might be a nice project for this fall. Do you guys have any suggestions?

Tips for Working with Phyllo?

As I am reconnecting with cooking Greek food and tracking down some of my mother's old recipes (I lost most of them!) or recreating them through research, I realize I am rusty working with phyllo. Do you guys have any tips? In particular, the phyllo seems to be sticking together inside the package.

I enjoyed this video - do you guys have anything to add?

I have been thawing it on the counter and that I think is my first problem!

Could I Use Different Greens in My Pita?

The there day, I tried to follow a spanakopita recipe that I actually shared here, and I ran out of spinach! So, I actually ran down to the store to get some. However, I had kale on hand, and I wondered the whole time I was driving if I should have just used the kale. I didn't need much more spinach - just a few handfuls.

What do you think? What would you have done? I already mixed the filling otherwise I would have just put everything in a smaller pan.

Squash Dish with Phyllo?

My mother used to make this squash dish around this time of year that involved phyllo, but I can't remember what it is called! I lost my mother's recipes and miss her cooking so much, I am trying to recreate some of my childhood favorites. She used to sometimes use zucchini, other times she'd use butternut squash. It was kind of sweet but not sweet like a dessert. Just enough sweetness.

Greek American Thanksgiving Rice/ Hamburg Dish?

My family makes this dish and I am trying to recreate it and maybe even try something different... I know it might take me a while to nail down my technique before Thanksgiving, and I will even want to do at least one test run.

As far as I can tell this is basically the technique:

Sauce one chopped onion
Brown the hamburg
Add salt, pepper, and spices (I think my family uses allspice?)
Stir in the rice
Add water
Cook it.
Stir in roasted chestnuts.

As you can see, I don't know amounts or timing. Can someone help me recreate it?
Sign up for a free account and share your thoughts, photos, questions about Greek food, travel and culture!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology. Join WorldwideGreeks.com here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Follow WorldwideGreeks.com:
Facebook Instagram Twitter