1 - 6 of 6 Posts

acamp7

Thassos is one of the most peaceful islands ever!! There is so much nature and the water is so calm. It's one of the best weekend trips to take from Thessaloniki

Screen Shot 2021-08-02 at 9.07.08 PM.png

Worldwide Greeks Editor

Administrator
Staff member
Amazing photo and great suggestion about visiting the island of Thassos!

Here is more information about Thassos:

Thanks for the post!

ladytina

This looks like such a stunning place! Thank you for sharing the gorgeous photo. So, it's a doable short trip from Thessaloniki?

k_tsoukalas

This looks stunning! How long is it from Thessaloniki?

Jerry s

Drive from Thessaloniki to Keramoti ( close to Kavala), about 2 hour drive on the motorway and take the ferry to Thassos a bit over 1/2 hour.

Reactions: paharo45

paharo45

I looove Thassos! The hotels are so so cheap :)

What do Athenians think about Thessaloniki?

Before any Athenians or Greeks get their feelings hurt in the comments, please know that this video was just for fun! Personally, I love both Athens and Thessaloniki and have had great experiences in both places. I have found that Athens is very beautiful during Christmas time, and I prefer to travel there in the off-season since it can get very hot during the summer and pretty empty during August. Thessaloniki is great during the summer because it's right by the water so you can enjoy that cool ocean breeze.

What is the best place to get a hotel in Thessaloniki?

I am thinking of visiting Thessaloniki this summer to visit a few friends and learn more about the history of the city...I am wondering where would be the best place to stay? What is the niehgborhood that is most central and next to the most activities? What would you recommend?

The history behind the white tower of Thessaloniki

Did you know that the white tower of Thessaloniki (lefkos pyrgos) was not the original tower that was there in the first place? During the siege of Thessaloniki in 1185, the tower was destroyed and then rebuilt. The new tower (the one that we see today) was constructed by the Ottoman Empire by an architect who constructed a similar tower in Valona, Albania.

You should rent a bike to tour Thessaloniki!

Many people don't think to rent a bike to see the city, but I think it's one of the best things you can do since Thessaloniki is right on the water and you will get some amazing views. Unlike different cities nearby, like Kavala, Thessaloniki doesn't have that many hills and is very easy to get around on the bike. I just recommend that you're careful of drivers, as Greek drivers can be a bit aggressive on the road. When I last visited, it was a few years back so I don't remember which bike rental company we used. So if anyone recommendations please drop them below.

Allatini Villa is a baroque piece of Greek history in Thessaloniki

Allatini Villa definitely sticks out when you look at the rest of the buildings in Thessaloniki. This building is in the baroque architecture style and was built by an Italian architect names Vitaliano Poselli for a wealthy family who wanted a vacation home. Throughout the years, the building has been transformed for many different purposes. This video does a quick overview, and shows you the building from the outside but does not provide much detail. If anyone has more info, I would love to know.

Share and discuss your Thessaloniki photos, questions and experiences!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology. Join WorldwideGreeks.com here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Follow WorldwideGreeks.com:
Facebook Instagram Twitter