1 - 3 of 3 Posts

nm1999

I don't know much about the actual foot race, but I do know a bit about Atlanta. The daughter of Schoeneus of Arcadia, Atalanta was left by her father in the woods. Artemis, the Greek Goddess of the Hunt and Moon, favored Atalanta and sent a she-bear to suckle the young child until being found by a group of hunters. As she grew into womanhood, she vowed to remain a virgin and was said to have kill two Centaurs that had tried to take her virginity in an open glade. If anyone knows about the foot race, please share!!

Atalanta-720x480.jpg

Reactions: blopez34

blopez34

k_tsoukalas

What an interesting story! Thank you for sharing it. You guys are right, there isn't much out there about her.

Movies inspired by Greek mythology that you should watch!

These aren't really "Greek" but they're great for those who love Greek mythology!

1. Disney's Hercules
2. Percy Jackson series
3. 300
4. Troy

Who was the royal family of Greece?

I had no idea that Greece had a royal family until I found out that prince Phillip was born in Corfu and did some googling...and im not even sure I understand how the British royal family connects to. the Greek royal family. Does anyone know why Greece even had a royal family in the first place? And what was their role in ruling the country?

This is my new favorite online show about Greek mythology!

I love this show :) so informative and gives great insight on ancient Greek culture, with great visuals. To be honest I love anything that the History Channel does.

The Titan God Atlas is the one who held up the world

Atlas is one of my favorite characters in Greek mythology...he is literally the one who held up the world with his extreme strength. He was sent to hold up the earth as a punishment after the war between the Titans and the Olympians.

atlas-720x961.jpg

What are your favorite plays from Greek mythology?

I love a good play with an ancient plot! Antigone is one of my favorites, I saw it in Athens a few years back. Its pretty popular and there have been a lot of adaptations since. It is a tragedy by Sophocles written in or before 441 BC. I won't give any spoilers, but as with any Greek play, there is a lot of drama and murder!!! What are your favorite ancient Greek plays?
Share and discuss Greek mythology!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology. Join WorldwideGreeks.com here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Follow WorldwideGreeks.com:
Facebook Instagram Twitter