1 - 2 of 2 Posts

JLight

In August 394 BCE, the most brutal event of the Corinthian War took place between Spartan veterans and Theban hoplites. Just outside Coronea, the Spartan army of the Asia Minor campaign collided with a coalition army on the open plains of Boeotia in a grudge match that nearly saw the death of Sparta’s warrior king, Agesilaus. Sparta seized victory by holding the field of battle, but the clash shattered the image of the Spartan Phalanx’s invincibility and would be the last major pitched battle of the Corinthian War. To learn more, click on the link below.

https://www.historicworld.co.uk/pos...a-down-a-peg-or-two-the-corinthian-war-part-5

Reactions: seleanor

seleanor

In August 394 BCE, the most brutal event of the Corinthian War took place between Spartan veterans and Theban hoplites. Just outside Coronea, the Spartan army of the Asia Minor campaign collided with a coalition army on the open plains of Boeotia in a grudge match that nearly saw the death of Sparta’s warrior king, Agesilaus. Sparta seized victory by holding the field of battle, but the clash shattered the image of the Spartan Phalanx’s invincibility and would be the last major pitched battle of the Corinthian War. To learn more, click on the link below.

https://www.historicworld.co.uk/pos...a-down-a-peg-or-two-the-corinthian-war-part-5
This takes me back to my school days, I remember reading about the hoplite battle strategy that was very successful in Greece

Reactions: JLight

Why Alexander the Great was so powerful

We know that great men do not just come from nowhere. Alexander the Great was molded into the ruler that conquered all of Persia by his father and many great philosophers, namely Aristotle. His father, King Phillip had already established a very successful empire that was already expanding. Once Alexander became old enough, the empire was handed to him and he was able to quickly build it into one of the greatest empires of all time.

Did you know that the marathon originated in ancient Greece?

The modern day marathon as we know it originated from the battle of the marathon. There was a battle between Greece and Persia, which was won by the Greeks. This video reveals how the name actually came to be! You will all be so shocked from this piece of Ancient Greek history!

Were Antiochus I of Commagene and Antiochus I Soter related?

I am super confused between these two as I have read that Antiochus I of Commagene was the one who had built Mount Nemrut(Turkey) but when I read the history and properties of the king who had built the Mount Nemrut, it is more likely "Antiochus I Soter" or his son "Antiochus II Theo" because they both had "God complex" , they were called King of the Universe and Theo(God) respectively.

Moreover, Antiochus I of Commagene and Antiochus I Soter don't seem to be related if I track their family line and they seem to rule slightly different areas but the heritage and family attributes that local Turkish guides provide about the king that is associated with Mount Nemrut is more similar to the Antiochus I Soter or his Son Antiochus II Theo. But is their any chance that Antiochus I of Commagene is related to the aforementioned Kings, like could they be his ancestors or something?

I have found not much information online as the Turkish websites either attribute the king as simply Antiochus I or Antiochus I of Commagene Theo which is absolutely wrong because no King having name Antiochus I had title Theo in the history.

If anyone could provide the clarity with a little background, I would be really grateful.

The history of the Greek Orthodox Church

The history of the Greek Orthodox Church is so great and vast, it is even said that it was established while Jesus and his Apostles were alive. It was in 1054 when the Orthodox church split from the Catholic Church, this was when the Greek Orthodox Church became what we now know it as today. Though it is often contested by many, Greek Orthodox Christians believe that the Orthodox Church was the church established by Jesus Christ himself.

These are the best history museums in Greece

Greece has some of the best museums of history museums in the world! And amazing opportunities to see history up close in archaic relics like the Parthenon and Epidavros. These are the best history museums in my opinion, but please let me know your favorites!

- Acropolis Museum
- Heraklion Archeological Museum
- Museum of Byzantine Culture
- National Archeological Museum
Share and discuss Greek history!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology. Join WorldwideGreeks.com here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Follow WorldwideGreeks.com:
Facebook Instagram Twitter