1 - 1 of 1 Posts

toniiv

Crete has some of the most beautiful culture and costumes! This video outlines all of the pieces of the traditional costumes and what each part is used for. As you can see, many parts of Cretan culture are based in military lifestyle. Cretans are known as warriors and played a major role in defending Greece from both the Ottoman Empire as well as Nazi regime.

Too late to travel to Crete in December?

Is it too late to travel to Crete in December? I am going to visit some people for the holidays, but I also want to do some sightseeing.

Someone told me that Crete shuts down in October, but people still live there so it can't possibly be a ghost town.

What shuts down, exactly? Will I still be able to go to museums and stuff this time of year?

Planning to spend time at Knossos Palace in Crete

I am planning to visit Knossos Palace next summer and I am looking for suggestions. Should I book a guided tour in advance? How long should I plan to stay?

I have researched the area and I know I want to see all the sites I possibly can in the complex. I also heard that a lot of the artifacts aren't at the site - they're at the archaeological museum in Heraklion. So, if I want the full experience it sounds like I need to plan at least two days for this?

Any advice is appreciated!

Best Beaches with Services on Crete

It's tough for my family to visit beaches that don't have services - like a restaurant, bathrooms, because we are traveling with multiple generations and usually spend the whole day.

Do the following beaches have services? I will be going with my family end of June next year:

- Elafonissi
- Balos
- Matala
- Stalis

I am having a hard time visualizing based on descriptions I am finding online.

List of foods to try on Crete

Crete is one of my favorite islands - and I plan to visit again in a few months. I thought I would make a list of some of the foods I definitely plan to eat when there.

The of you who know about the island, do you have anything to add?

• Dakos
  • Horta
  • Cretan "pitakia" (in the turnover dough)
  • Horiatiki
  • Pizza (sounds silly, but I love eating Pizza on Crete LOL)
Share and discuss your Crete photos, questions and experiences!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology.
Join Worldwide Greeks here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT