1 - 10 of 10 Posts

mastichas09

I love the history of this place! In 480 BC, along with the other two city-states, ancient Ialyssos formed a confederation to protect themselves. Together, these three would form the capital of Rhodes. The capital stretched from this area to present day Rhodes Town. You will see the Temple of Athena, the Doric fountain-house, and the Byzantine fortifications.

ialyssos.jpg

tomipark

I loved this place! My cousin insisted that we take a guided tour and it was actually great even though I usually don't like tour guides. There is so much to learn I highly recommend it

Reactions: cf_fraiser
In 2011 as a part of the local government reform it became a part of the municipality Rhodes

Tpebop

Best place to visit is Ancient Kamaros not far from Kamaros Scala port

Reactions: seleanor

seleanor

Best place to visit is Ancient Kamaros not far from Kamaros Scala port
I love the archeological site there, so cool

k_tsoukalas

This is a great place to visit because there is so much history! That's a great photo of it, too.

amygdalE

I love the history of this place! In 480 BC, along with the other two city-states, ancient Ialyssos formed a confederation to protect themselves. Together, these three would form the capital of Rhodes. The capital stretched from this area to present day Rhodes Town. You will see the Temple of Athena, the Doric fountain-house, and the Byzantine fortifications.

View attachment 332
A great picture. However, unfortunately it cannot contain its fascinating history, from its foundation by Peloponnesian people. (They were distant cousins of mine, for they founed my ancestral city, Thoyrioi in South Italy, named after the Peloponnesian Thouria.) Recently the name "Ialyssos" has intrigued me because it has seemed to be a theophoric name (a name that contains the word "god" or the name of a god), like the well known Japetos, the titan who was cast down by the Olympian gods. So, I see Japetos as Ja/Ia/Ya + petos, that is, the "Ya cast down One." So, I see Ialyssos as Ya-lyssos. Let us remember that Mount Parnassus is in the Peloponnese and that one of its peaks [where a god resides] was called YampeiE. From various linguistic evidence I have inferred that Ya was the rain-god, whereas Zeus was the storm-god.

Reactions: greggd12

greggd12

A great picture. However, unfortunately it cannot contain its fascinating history, from its foundation by Peloponnesian people. (They were distant cousins of mine, for they founed my ancestral city, Thoyrioi in South Italy, named after the Peloponnesian Thouria.) Recently the name "Ialyssos" has intrigued me because it has seemed to be a theophoric name (a name that contains the word "god" or the name of a god), like the well known Japetos, the titan who was cast down by the Olympian gods. So, I see Japetos as Ja/Ia/Ya + petos, that is, the "Ya cast down One." So, I see Ialyssos as Ya-lyssos. Let us remember that Mount Parnassus is in the Peloponnese and that one of its peaks [where a god resides] was called YampeiE. From various linguistic evidence I have inferred that Ya was the rain-god, whereas Zeus was the storm-god.
No picture of Greece can capture the beautiful history, you have to learn about it in order to see through the picture and the landscape. That is what is most beautiful about Greece, there is history everywhere. You are right

amygdalE

No picture of Greece can capture the beautiful history, you have to learn about it in order to see through the picture and the landscape. That is what is most beautiful about Greece, there is history everywhere. You are right
I am sure some inhabitant of the city knows or has found the meaning of the city's name. Please divulge it.

Reactions: dubai_suzie

dubai_suzie

I am sure some inhabitant of the city knows or has found the meaning of the city's name. Please divulge it.
Hmmm while I was trying to find the origins of the name I found that there was a name change of the city. Wikipedia says that is used to be called Τριάντα or Trianta before 1976

Intellectuals at Rhodes

I know some of the intellectual life in ancient Greece, but I am curious about its present state, since I hope that there will be a resurgence -- a needed resurgence. How is it in Rhodes? Meanwhile I'll mention one ancient Rhodian for the general reader: Panaitios (often referred to as Panaetius of Rhodes) was born in Rhodes, lived 185-110 B.C. He was a Stoic philosopher who travelled to and spent time in Rome and in Athens. In Rome he was a teacher of Cicero, who followed him and developed themes from his work, "Peri ton kathEkontos" . Cicero's work, which is translated and available online is titled "De Officiis" [= On Duties] . Panaitios maintained that virtue alone is not sufficient to attain a happy life; health and some resources are also needed. Along with the older Stoics, he maintained that humans ought to act according to nature, and that nature, by means of impulses, steers us to act properly/morally. So, Cicero dwells upon the "instinctive" love that parents have for children, for their spouses, and --to some extent -- for humans in general (on account of their being human). This love-based ethics was widely accepted during the Middle Ages theologians....

Are there any beaches in Rhodes with lock boxes for valuables?

I really appreciate when beaches have lock boxes (or whatever they're called) with a place to store my phone, keys and wallet at my beach chair while im swimming. Does anyone have any recommendations?

Is it easy to find parking in Rhodes Town?

I would love to rent a car while in Greece because I like exploring the outskirts of islands and having my own freedom. But I wonder if its worth bringing the car on the ferry because I hate spending my sweet vacation time looking for parking and driving around in circles. Is parking a nightmare?

Do you recommend makris tichos beach in Rhodes?

Is this beach nice? Does anyone have any pictures they could post? Im not very trusting of pictures I see online posted by travel agencies

Some of the best food spots in Rhodes, Greece

What do you guys think of these food places?

Share and discuss your Rhodes photos, questions and experiences!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology. Join WorldwideGreeks.com here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Follow WorldwideGreeks.com:
Facebook Instagram Twitter