1 - 10 of 10 Posts

mastichas09

I love the history of this place! In 480 BC, along with the other two city-states, ancient Ialyssos formed a confederation to protect themselves. Together, these three would form the capital of Rhodes. The capital stretched from this area to present day Rhodes Town. You will see the Temple of Athena, the Doric fountain-house, and the Byzantine fortifications.

ialyssos.jpg

tomipark

I loved this place! My cousin insisted that we take a guided tour and it was actually great even though I usually don't like tour guides. There is so much to learn I highly recommend it

Reactions: cf_fraiser
In 2011 as a part of the local government reform it became a part of the municipality Rhodes

Tpebop

Best place to visit is Ancient Kamaros not far from Kamaros Scala port

Reactions: seleanor

seleanor

Best place to visit is Ancient Kamaros not far from Kamaros Scala port
I love the archeological site there, so cool

k_tsoukalas

This is a great place to visit because there is so much history! That's a great photo of it, too.

amygdalE

I love the history of this place! In 480 BC, along with the other two city-states, ancient Ialyssos formed a confederation to protect themselves. Together, these three would form the capital of Rhodes. The capital stretched from this area to present day Rhodes Town. You will see the Temple of Athena, the Doric fountain-house, and the Byzantine fortifications.

View attachment 332
A great picture. However, unfortunately it cannot contain its fascinating history, from its foundation by Peloponnesian people. (They were distant cousins of mine, for they founed my ancestral city, Thoyrioi in South Italy, named after the Peloponnesian Thouria.) Recently the name "Ialyssos" has intrigued me because it has seemed to be a theophoric name (a name that contains the word "god" or the name of a god), like the well known Japetos, the titan who was cast down by the Olympian gods. So, I see Japetos as Ja/Ia/Ya + petos, that is, the "Ya cast down One." So, I see Ialyssos as Ya-lyssos. Let us remember that Mount Parnassus is in the Peloponnese and that one of its peaks [where a god resides] was called YampeiE. From various linguistic evidence I have inferred that Ya was the rain-god, whereas Zeus was the storm-god.

Reactions: greggd12

greggd12

A great picture. However, unfortunately it cannot contain its fascinating history, from its foundation by Peloponnesian people. (They were distant cousins of mine, for they founed my ancestral city, Thoyrioi in South Italy, named after the Peloponnesian Thouria.) Recently the name "Ialyssos" has intrigued me because it has seemed to be a theophoric name (a name that contains the word "god" or the name of a god), like the well known Japetos, the titan who was cast down by the Olympian gods. So, I see Japetos as Ja/Ia/Ya + petos, that is, the "Ya cast down One." So, I see Ialyssos as Ya-lyssos. Let us remember that Mount Parnassus is in the Peloponnese and that one of its peaks [where a god resides] was called YampeiE. From various linguistic evidence I have inferred that Ya was the rain-god, whereas Zeus was the storm-god.
No picture of Greece can capture the beautiful history, you have to learn about it in order to see through the picture and the landscape. That is what is most beautiful about Greece, there is history everywhere. You are right

amygdalE

No picture of Greece can capture the beautiful history, you have to learn about it in order to see through the picture and the landscape. That is what is most beautiful about Greece, there is history everywhere. You are right
I am sure some inhabitant of the city knows or has found the meaning of the city's name. Please divulge it.

Reactions: dubai_suzie

dubai_suzie

I am sure some inhabitant of the city knows or has found the meaning of the city's name. Please divulge it.
Hmmm while I was trying to find the origins of the name I found that there was a name change of the city. Wikipedia says that is used to be called Τριάντα or Trianta before 1976

lot of flooding after 29 December storms

Lindos & Pefkos had a lot of damage .

Take a day trip to Symi island from Rhodes

Taking a day trip is the easiest way to see many of the islands in Greece. Symi is a pretty small island, so I don't recommend spending many days there. What you can do is take a short ferry to the island and spend it walking around, exploring and heading to the beach. If you're lucky, you'll be able to check out the annual music festival which features artists from around Greece.

These are my best Rhodes travel tips

These are my travel tips from having visited Rhodes a couple of times!

-Don't spend all your time at the beach! It's tempting, but there are some really great sites and an amazing village town that are totally worth visiting
-You shouldn't pay top dollar for a hotel just because it has a pool! Many of the beaches are much better than the pools and they also offer great services like food and drink service.
-Bring your own first aid kit. If you need medical attention, it might be difficult to find a pharmacy that's open. There's usually one or two pharmacies that remain open at night or during holidays. If you don't have a car, it will be more difficult to get to them.

Best of luck and enjoy your holidays!

Did you know that the Italian influence in Rhodes is HUGE!

Many people don't know that Rhodes' Italian influence is pretty recent and not from Roman times. The last time Italians set foot in Rhodes was in 1943 after World War 1. It was only until 1947 that Greek became a part of the modern Greek state. Italians really contributed to the development of the island and to the culture and architecture. This is one of the reasons why Rhodes is so unique and has a pretty different vibe than some of the other islands.

Welcome to Pefkos, Rhodes

Pefkos is an absolutely amazing destination to go to on the island! It has a great beach and wonderful restaurants and coffee shops in the area. The beach is not overcrowded and I personally think its a great place to go with family and kids. There aren't too many organized activities on the beach but it is great for swimming. Here is a great areal view of the beach.

Share and discuss your Rhodes photos, questions and experiences!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology. Join WorldwideGreeks.com here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Follow WorldwideGreeks.com:
Facebook Instagram Twitter