1 - 3 of 3 Posts

nm1999

Santorini is famous for its white wines. I'm not a huge wine person myself, but I always find myself reaching for Santorini wine when it's on the menu. There are so many different wines to choose from, and its really up to your own taste. I don't ever believe that the best wine is the most expensive. Here are a few wines that you should at least try!

Assyrtiko
Tselepos
Nychteri
Vinsado

What are your favorites?

k_tsoukalas

Santorini wine is really special. The unique conditions of the soil give the grapes a unique flavor. It is some of the most delicious wine in Greece!

When I think back on all the time I have spent on Santorini, it's the wines that I reminisce on. I drink these whenever I have the chance, but there's nothing quite like drinking them while there.

Recipes list for Greek holiday cooking

I want to experiment making some traditional Greek dishes over the holidays. While I am learning how to cook Greek foods, I am also getting to know the culture. So, what do people typical cook during this time of year? I have done some research and made a quick list:

** There's a Greek "stuffing" type of thing that involves chestnuts to serve at Thanksgiving - I am having a tough time tracking down a recipe

** Melamakarona - the Greek Christmas cookie

** Other Greek desserts seem pretty common this time of year, too - baklava, koulourakia, kourabedies

** Braised lamb shank - Greeks in the United States, from what I can tell, tend to cook Turkey - but this lamb shank recipe has come up as an option for Christmas dinner

Did I miss anything? I was thinking of making the Melemakarona cookies, and maybe learning how to make lamb shake and that "stuffing" (if I can find the recipe). I will do some other things if I have time, but these are the main ones.

I want to make Domatakeftedes at home...

I saw a recipe in a Greek cookbook somewhere called "Domatakeftedes" or tomato croquettes. It looked delicious, but I can't find it!

Does anyone know of any good recipes? I love tomatoes, and I had this dish once somewhere and thought it was amazing. From what I understand it's a specialty on Santorini? Thanks for your help!

Cooking a Greek-Style Thanksgiving Turkey

I can't believe Thanksgiving is almost here. Typically, when I bake a turkey, I tend to just use salt, pepper, and butter. I stuff the cavity with a quartered onion and some herbs.

This year, I think I want to step it up and make the Turkey a bit more "Greek".

Has anyone done this? I was hitting of brushing ladolemono on the skin and inside the cavity. I make my ladolemono with olive oil, lemon juice, garlic, salt, pepper, oregano, and a pinch of thyme.

Does anyone have a good stifado recipe?

I used to make it, but I don't know where my recipe went and I never had it memorized. I plan to make it with beef. I recall we used a bunch of different spices. The main issue is the I can't remember the spice combination. Also, I used to make it in a pressure cooker but I no longer have one. I am assuming it's okay to do it on the stove?

Moussaka Recipe from Cooking Greek Cookbook

One of my favorite Greek dishes is Moussaka, but I don't make it at home a lot. One of the issues is that I haven't found a great recipe, and I know that working with eggplant can be tricky. In the past, people have tried to explain to me how to make it, but their explanations have been confusing. I need a proper recipe that is easy to understand. It looks like Chef Pemi put together a great version of it that even someone like me, who has been intimidated by making my own moussaka, can follow. Not only that, but it looks yummy!

Check out the Cooking Greek Cookbook by Worldwide Greeks out on Hardcover, Paperback and eBook here!

moussaka-recipe.jpg
Sign up for a free account and share your thoughts, photos, questions about Greek food, travel and culture!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology. Join Worldwide Greeks here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Follow Worldwide Greeks:
Facebook Twitter Instagram
TikTok Pinterest YouTube