1 - 3 of 3 Posts

nm1999

Santorini is famous for its white wines. I'm not a huge wine person myself, but I always find myself reaching for Santorini wine when it's on the menu. There are so many different wines to choose from, and its really up to your own taste. I don't ever believe that the best wine is the most expensive. Here are a few wines that you should at least try!

Assyrtiko
Tselepos
Nychteri
Vinsado

What are your favorites?

k_tsoukalas

Santorini wine is really special. The unique conditions of the soil give the grapes a unique flavor. It is some of the most delicious wine in Greece!

When I think back on all the time I have spent on Santorini, it's the wines that I reminisce on. I drink these whenever I have the chance, but there's nothing quite like drinking them while there.

Compiling a List of Fasting Recipes and Foods

So, I am slowly figuring out what my fasting style is going to be. I am going to start by fasting on Fridays. I am putting together a list of foods I can have during fasting days. I decided to do completely vegan this one day a week. Here is my list of foods:

- Lentils and rice
- Lentil soup
- Anything with chickpeas
- Salads dressed with lemon juice or vinegar (if it is a no oil day)
- Breads - I am going to shoot for multigrain on fasting days
- Lots of vegetables in general
- Occasionally eat fruit

What do you guys do?

Making My Own Phyllo?

I have been having trouble with frozen phyllo - it sticks when I take it out of the package. I will try to switch to a different brand, but I am wondering if I should actually give making my wn phyllo a try? Do you guys have any tips for me?

I found this recipe - does it look good to you guys? I have never done this before:

Gluten Free Moussaka?

I am going to a dinner party where the hostess is gluten free. I thought I would try making this and bring it to her house. What do you guys think of it?

I have made regular moussaka with gluten, so I think I will be okay with this (I am kind of new at cooking Greek food).

Do you have tips for working with phyllo?

I have been experimenting with Greek cooking for a few years now and I didn't have the guts to start trying to work with phyllo until recently - I tried to make baklava. I had all kinds of problems and I am hoping you guys have some tips to help me get the hang of it better. Here's a list of the issues I had:

1. Sheets were stuck together in the package
2. The phyllo started to dry out as I assembled the recipe
3. My pan was shorter than each sheet and I didn't know what to do with the exces

I don't know, am I doing something wrong?

Could I Use Different Greens in My Pita?

The there day, I tried to follow a spanakopita recipe that I actually shared here, and I ran out of spinach! So, I actually ran down to the store to get some. However, I had kale on hand, and I wondered the whole time I was driving if I should have just used the kale. I didn't need much more spinach - just a few handfuls.

What do you think? What would you have done? I already mixed the filling otherwise I would have just put everything in a smaller pan.
Sign up for a free account and share your thoughts, photos, questions about Greek food, travel and culture!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology. Join WorldwideGreeks.com here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Follow WorldwideGreeks.com:
Facebook Instagram Twitter