1 - 5 of 5 Posts

seleanor

Santorini is one of those islands where the timing is super important! Unfortunately, the island gets super crowded and sometimes dare I say unpleasant because of the number of people and tourists. If you're willing to travel in the off season, I highly recommend it. September to October and April to May are the best times to go. I personally prefer mid September because I like a strong sun so I can get a good tan.

k_tsoukalas

Santorini is one of those islands where the timing is super important! Unfortunately, the island gets super crowded and sometimes dare I say unpleasant because of the number of people and tourists. If you're willing to travel in the off season, I highly recommend it. September to October and April to May are the best times to go. I personally prefer mid September because I like a strong sun so I can get a good tan.
The weather in Greece is still really nice in the off-season. I've traveled to Greece in September and October and have still had beach weather.

Santorini.net

Late September, October, and even early November are fantastic months to see Santorini! Hotels, restaurants, cafes, the wineries are still operating, some of them are open throughout the year and the weather is still warm.

HeartSantorini

I love Santorini anytime between May and October. Weather-wise May can be challenging - there are intense winds, and also things haven't quite woken up.

Reactions: cf_fraiser

cf_fraiser

I love Santorini anytime between May and October. Weather-wise May can be challenging - there are intense winds, and also things haven't quite woken up.
I had a really hard time with the winds in Santorini when I visited in late April. Personally, its not worth the chance since Santorini is pretty pricey.

Is Santorini actually overrated?

I keep hearing this statement over and over....and I'm kind of confused. I loved Santorini when I went, as you can see in my profile picture. I loved riding the donkeys with my kids and exploring the island. I get that its crowded and a little overpriced but I think it was an unforgettable experience. I wouldn't have taken it back and gone to another island! What are your thoughts for those that have been?

There are no Taxis in Santorini!

I love Santorini and this is my 4th time visiting the island. My advice is rent a car. Even with driving being tough with the thousands of tourists packed everywhere on mopeds, motorcycles, tiny cars, it is so much better than trying to find a taxi.

Today, I spend 3 hours to get a taxi to take me 4 miles...just too hot and dangerous to walk.

I had to go store to store ans ask after I finallu wapked into a supermarket, the owner called his friend that owns a transfer service, pay cash to get a ride. No uber, taxis or any app or service anywhere.

Please share your tips if you have any, about how to find a taxi in Santorini?

Where to explore the history of Santorini

Santorini has such a deep and rich history that definitely should be explored on your next trip to the island. The Ancient Byzantine Castle is one of the best places to start your exploration of the history of the island. The Byzantine Empire played one of the most influential roles in the culture in history of ancient Greece. The empire was led by Christian rulers, who spread the Greek orthodox religion throughout the country. You can also visit the Akrotiri Archaeological Site which shows ruins from the bronze age, dating back to 1600 BC. Safe travels!

These are the top two foods to try in Santorini!

Santorini has some of the best sunsets, but also some of the best food! The island has so many fantastic restaurants, many of which are taking a modern twist on traditional Greek cuisine. Two of the must try foods that are local dishes in Santorini are domatokeftedes (tomato fritters) and fava. Here are pictures of both dishes!

The best place to go scuba diving in Santorini

Santorini is one of the best places to go scuba diving because the island was created from a volcano many years ago which makes the sea life very different from other areas of Greece. There are very unique Coral reef Sandrock formations that have come from the volcano, and as always, the sea is teeming with wildlife. I highly recommend visiting Caldera Lagoon and arranging that you go scuba diving there. There are a few local schools that you should call ahead of time to schedule your slot. Best of luck!
Share and discuss Santorini photos, questions and experiences!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology. Join WorldwideGreeks.com here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Follow WorldwideGreeks.com:
Facebook Instagram Twitter