1 - 2 of 2 Posts

seleanor

You may recognize the Birth of Venus, which is one of the most famous paintings, especially in terms of paintings that are based on Roman and Greek mythology. The main woman in the painting is one of the three Horae, who in Greek mythology is one of the minor goddesses of the seasons and of other divisions of time. The painting is debated over and the meaning is really up to the beholder.

k_tsoukalas

You may recognize the Birth of Venus, which is one of the most famous paintings, especially in terms of paintings that are based on Roman and Greek mythology. The main woman in the painting is one of the three Horae, who in Greek mythology is one of the minor goddesses of the seasons and of other divisions of time. The painting is debated over and the meaning is really up to the beholder.

This is certainly a memorable and beautiful painting. This painting always seemed fantastical to me, and representative of how the artist pictured her birth to be.

The Current Greek Mythology?

So recently I have been really enjoying watching videos from Professor Fransesca Stavracopoulou and I wanted to share one of my favourite videos on youtube. She is a professor of Hebrew Bible and Ancient Religion at the University of Exeter. She examines the bible from a professional archaeological point of view, showing how many of the bible stories are not historically verifiable or even misrepresent the actual historical accounts. My personal realisation is that the current Greek religion is just another mythology just as the 12 Greek gods were.

Have you ever wanted to read the Odyssey without reading the Odyssey?

If you're not a big reader like myself, this video is perfect! If you didn't know, the odyssey is one of the most important classical poems in Greece. It is a massive poem that reads like a book. It follows the story of Homer and his escapades throughout different areas of Greece after the Trojan War, specifically Ithaca. Let me know what you think of this summary.

Aion is the Greek god of time

There are many Greek mythological gods that represent some of the most important concepts in humanity, most importantly: time. Aion is the Greek god of time in addition to Chronos. Most of them share this responsibility, but Chronos came first in the timeline of the Greek gods. He is a symbol of the long reign of the Roman Empire and has a female counterpart known as Aeternitas. I couldn't find much more information, but if someone knows more about him please let me know :)

Roman mythical men?

Does roman mythology have any sort of "mythical men" similar to the spartoi?

Unknown Deity

A near to unknown God of greek mythology had come to attention, This God is the youngest of the Greek deity’s and may live among us today. T

His name is Somnios

the only source of information found about him is in a book underneath the temple of Apollo .
According to the scripture he is the son of Apollo and Apate
He is the God of bad dreams, Deception ( shared with his mother) Jealousy, double meanings, paranoia, negative thinking, paranormality, curses, spirits.
According to Apollo’s manuscript
Somnios lives today as a human and reincarnates when the the body dies
Share and discuss Greek mythology!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology. Join WorldwideGreeks.com here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Follow WorldwideGreeks.com:
Facebook Instagram Twitter